+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Need advice on old Marlin made single shot 22

I'm looking at a single shot 22 s-l-lr sold through Sears and made by Marlin in the early to mid 1930s. Markings on the barrel are Ranger 34. I understand that the gun is a marlin model 65 or 65A, which preceeded the Model 100. I'm looking at this rifle because I have two six year old grandsons and want a rifle that I can use to introduce them to shooting and also because it is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and a friend just gave me an old Redfield peep that fits the existing holes on the rifle. The rifle is compact and light weight, possibly desined for young shooters.

Questions: The barrel exterior is smooth with no signs of significant rust, but about 30 percent has no blueing at all and the remainder has turned into a nice, brownish patina. I don't understand how the barrel could be so rust free and not have any signs of blueing on the muzzle end. Would it be better to keep the attractive patina or oxpho blue the entire barrel?

The stock is in good shape, attractive and has a schnabel fore end. Were schnabeled foreends common in older, cheaper rifles?

I did a quick check of the bore and the rifling appeared good. Also, I used a snapcap and the rifle appeared to function ok. There were some marks on the side of the chamber where the rifle had apparently been dry fired a few times. Numrich has some parts for these rifles but not all. Are there other sources for parts if I need them?

Last question: The front sight appears to be dove tailed into the barrel. I understand most dovetails today are 3/8 inches. Anybody know if that was the case 70 years ago also?

The price is $95 out the door. I know I can get a new single shot from WalMart Dicks or Academy for just a few dollars more, but darn, that old Marlin sure has character. That's worth a few bucks to me.

Thanks for putting up with so many of my questions, but I need to make a decision on this asap. For that reason, I'm also posting on the Rimfire Central forum.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Need advice on old Marlin made single shot 22

I'd haggle 'em down a bit if possible.

But it sounds like it's worth $95...so I'd jump on it anyway even if they wouldn't come down much...but i'd certainly make 'em sweat They'd end up kicking either some off the price or throwing in a case/ammo before it was all over with.

I LOVE haggling!!
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions but sounds to me like a good deal, keep us posted on what you do, a picture if you get it .Dirty-.30

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I have a Ranger Single-Shot .22 from the era you are talking about. It may well be the same rifle. It was my grand-dads and it is a great shooting little rifle. My barrel has the same patina and the stock looks crappy. But, it shoots well. I'm considering refinishing the stock and possibly the barrel.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ima...ex.html?cat=11
    Vanquish Fear and Panic!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links