Marlin Firearms Forum banner

My new CZ 452 .22 LR rifle.

3K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Gr8rtst 
#1 ·
I finally got my CZ 452 American (LH) bolt-action .22LR rifle. Now the work begins . . . finding scope rings for it. Because it has 3/8" grooves milled into the upper part of the receiver, I have to find a Weaver T-22 conversion mounting base pair today at Cabela's, before I can mount it on my rifle. I tried to mount it on a pair of 1" Redfield rings for .22 and air rifles but they were too short and the bolt handle was stopped by the back end of the scope, so I have to go higher for the bolt to travel all the way back.

I'm mounting it on a Nikon 3-9X40, P-223 BDC scope I took off of my AR. i think it will work fine.

I'm new to CZs but I got a chance to shoot one in .223, and liked how well it shot, that I was interested in finding one. Since I wanted one in left-hand and they are a limited production rifle in .223, I bought the .22 because it happened to be sitting there on the rack and I didn't want to miss a chance to own one.

I know I could order one from CZ USA in Kansas but the Model 455 is the new version out now and though the Model CZ 452 in .22, 17 HMR and .223 are still available, the 455 will eventually replace it because it has the added advantage of coming with two, interchangeable barrels.

Can't wait to shoot it. I'm going to christen it with some .22 Aguila Eley Prime SuperExtra 40 grs. and see how it goes; then I'll try an assortment of bullets, weights and brands to see which one it likes best - should be fun.

Gr8rtst.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a CZ 452 thumbhole varmint that is an excellent target/bench rifle and not really to heavy to hunt with either.. I also have a 455 full length stock and that's what I pick up many times for walking or hunting, between the two on a bench there is very little is any accuracy difference, CZ does make an outstanding accurate 22lr !!

I have a set of talley rings for a CZ but I can't remember the height if your interested... I thought about mounting a rimfire scope on my 452, but decided against it.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the offer. I found a set of the Weaver T-22 conversion mounts at Cabela's. All I have to do now, is sweet talk the wife into driving me there to pick it up. Not allowed to drive - Dr.'s orders.

I like thumbholes, too. Maybe if they make a lefty stock by Boyd's, I might be interested in switching.

I'm going to put it on my Nikon P-223 3-9x40, until I can find the right Vortex. I'm partial to the Vortex brand, and I have four of them on by rifles.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: moofy07 and rclint
#4 · (Edited)
Days ago I had a chance to examine and shoot one of these CZ .22lr rifles. It was a CZ 455 LUX. It has a walnut stock with poor lacquer finish , free floated barrel, and an adjustable trigger, though the trigger mechanism is not so good compared to other .22s. I tried to make it lighter but could not get it less than 3.5 pound.

In terms of accuracy, it did a 1” 5 shot group using Federal 36 gr pack.

Broadly speaking, I think those CZ 455’s are well made rifles. They can be excellent if they got better stock finishes, better bluing and a more developed trigger mechanism.

#6 ·
The 455 family are all switch barrels,the 452 is discontinued unfortunately ,the switch barrel is a !? Option as in my opinion,and it is only MY opinion,the switch barrel won 't be as accurate,nothing like a good screwed in barrel,won't matter for hunting but for target I believe it will,also I know it is not a dedicated " target" rifle,but I would use it for one in rimfire Sporter comp,and the triggers are adj,,for the price you can't beat them and they look great.JMHO

#13 ·
According to the 2017 CZ Catalog, they are still making the left-hand models (limited production) but they didn't say when that model will finally be discontinued.

I'm hoping I can get a lefty 452 in .223 before there are no more left.

Fingers crossed.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: moofy07
#12 ·
The FAQ's said the American 452 rifles have 3/8" grooves, and the 11mm are for rifles made in Czech Republic. If I find the right rings by Leupold, I'll theck them out.

Thanks.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: moofy07 and rclint
#8 ·
Sounds like you have it planned out very well.
Congratulations!!

#14 ·
I've a 41 year old training rifle, Chinese clone, like new, bright bore, million dollar 2 stage trigger, very good AK style sights, horrible quality wood, and lathe cutter marks the length of the barrel. Perfect crown, the very first round I put through it DRT'd a bunny at 50 yds. Shoots way better than I. I picked up a semi inletted walnut stock for it and will post pics when done. I can live with the machine marks on the barrel, the bluing is perfect.

If a Chinese clone shoots this great I can only imagine how great the Czechoslovakian guns are!

AC

#21 ·
Just remember the safety is backwards on the CZ that's my only fault with the gun in any way, the rest of the gun is perfection.

The bolt hitting the scope is a common problem on CZ rimfires and I also had the same problem, but I can't remember the setup I was using scope/ring wise on my 452 thumbhole varmint. I have had several combinations on it weaver rimfire 3-9x32, sightron 6-24x42, weaver 36x... rings weaver, millet, talley, burris LOL and I ended up using a cheapo simmons 4x32 for shooting score type targets at short range. Would like to see pictures when you get it set up, CZ rimfires can come with outstanding walnut...mine came with pretty plain jane walnut, but I'm not complaining

#23 ·
CZ 452, 455, BRNO 2,4, and 5 trigger kit
This kit removes the creep and lightens the trigger pull weight by the use of shims and new springs. Kit includes 4 shims and 4 new springs plus a 3/32 roll pin to replace the original front trigger pin. Trigger pull weight can be adjusted from approx. 1 to 3.5 pounds. Individual results may very.
$

These trigger kits are great, I have them on my CZs.

#25 ·
My only CZ is a 223. It came with rings, but I swapped them for Warne rings. They were not quite as high, but high enough to handle a USA made Burris 3-9x40. They do not require an adapter if you get the proper ring for a CZ. Yours should have a set trigger. Push it forward to set and you have a hair trigger.

#26 ·
I got the Weaver T-22 mount converter set, and with the high, see-thru AR mounts I have, it made it too high from bore center, so I'm going back to Cabela's, today to find a set of Med 1" Warne rings, and I think that will bring the scope closer to the bore and still have enough to clear the bolt past the back of the scope body.

Cabela's has a surprisingly large variety of rings on hand - mostly Leupold but my local GS has barely any. They are all 'out of stock' and only had a couple of choices. Go figure.

That T-22 base adds about a 1/2" or so to the height of the rings.

Gr8rtst.

It does look cool, though.

#28 ·
#29 ·
Thumbs-up on the Yodave kit. I installed one on my 455 and only went one degree lighter on the trigger pull and no change on the sear engagement. Everything else was just too light on my 455. But they are not all the same (manufacturing tolerances?) so, different springs and pins to make it work for you. At some point in the assembly I thought I could do with three hands, but managed with two!

Luisyamaha

#38 ·
"Ain't that, the God's honest truth? But we still dream! I noticed that 6.5 Grendel is becoming more popular, also.

I have a solution to my problem. I t will take some time (of which there is an abundance of) and I told the wife; I will finish the paintings I am working on and all of the proceeds will pay for a new truck and a new rifle. Simple enough; for, as you say, a 'fixed income' type. (If only I could win the Federal Duck Stamp Competition, then I would be swimming in CZ rifles, but that's another fantasy, for a another time).

When there's a will, there's always a way to find the money.

Gr8rtst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.