+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marlin 17VS

Wrangler
    Member #

Marlin 17VS

Howdy

Just spent a couple of days out at my desert shooting range. One of the rifles I brought along was my Marlin 17VS because of the good accuracy it has shown in the past and is just plain fun to shoot with the light recoil. Those large bore rifles tend to wear on me after awhile at the bench.

Even with a slight breeze 1/2" groups at 100 yards were obtained. I feel if I can hold this rifle absolutely steady I can achieve 3/8" groups on a calm day. So I'am going to order a new style front rest that cradles the rifle better.

By the way it is equiped with a Redfield 6x18 scope with the BKL scope mount. Has had a trigger job with a nice crisp 2 pound pull. Parley
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin 17VS

Sounds like a great day. We've had so much rain and wind the last few days shooting outdoors would be risky business at best. I believe that Marlin is going your way for sure.

How old is the Redfield scope? I have a 2-7Widefield I've had since 76 and never had a problem. It's been on .30-06's,308W and now a .22 Magnum. Seems like the newer Redfields aren't too highly thought of.

Wrangler
    Member #

Marlin 17VS

Somehow over the years I have wound up with two Redfield 6x18 scopes. It has performed quite well on my 17VS. My "desert camp" is under a nice big ole Iron Wood tree to provide shade and the start of the foothills to provide a backdrop. No one else around for miles. Parley
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin 17VS

Need company? I've never been to that part of the country. :lol: :lol:

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links