+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin 880SQ Bolt Disassembly

The bolt on my 880SQ has developed a problem in that it's becoming very stiff and difficult to operate. I don't know if there is a burr inside or it just needs a good cleaning. Before I get ahead of myself, does anyone have any tips for disassembling the bolt? Looks like everything is held together by roll pins. I've seen videos by AGI that cover Marlin 22's, but I don't know if they go in much detail.

As a final solution, any suggestions for a gunsmith? Seems all the good gunsmiths have quit the business here in SoCal. The factory would be a last option as I sort of glued the rifle to the replacement stock and the trigger has been worked down to a 1.5 lb pull. I know Marlin would undo that. Any tips would be appreciated.
    "A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
    --Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

Team 60 #21
    Team 35 #8
    Team 444 #13
    Team 45-70 #14
    Team 30-30 #152
    Team Shotgun #23
    Team Browning #43

Gunfighter
    Member #

Jayhawker,
    If your bolt is becoming stiff then I'm assuming that it was ok at one time. Most likely not because of a burr. I would try taking the bolt out of the receiver then spraying in good with carb cleaner, let it set a while then spray it again heavily to wash out any gunk. Dry it off good and let it set to dry. Afterwards use some good oil sparingly getting it into the rotating areas of the bolt. I like the rem oil in the little bottle, it seems to flow into tight places. It may or may not help, but that's what I would do.
    NRA Life Member

Sidewinder
    Member #

Jayhawker,

I'm with Sarge on this one, My Sq got kinda stiff on me and I doused it in Triflow brand lubricant with Teflon in it fixed it right up.
    ll I ask is one shot just one.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The bolt head simply comes off once you align the removal slot with the corresponding pin. Just rotate the bolt head while gently applying pressure away from the bolt body. It comes off easily. Have you had your trigger assembly off lately? If so. make sure the sear spring is in the proper place and that the trigger/safety screws aren't over tightened. ~Andrew

PS: Easy on the oil. A few drops go a long way.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

if you have taken the stock off lately. I would check the rear screw that goes in the back of stock in all mine 880sq that screw is to long and ifyou tighten it to tight it will stick up and make the bolt hard to work. i have to file every one off a little bit.
    [good hunting] al

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Thanks, I'll try cleaning it out. The bolt binds up even while out of the rifle, so I know the problem is in the bolt itself and not the action screws or bedding.
    "A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
    --Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

Team 60 #21
    Team 35 #8
    Team 444 #13
    Team 45-70 #14
    Team 30-30 #152
    Team Shotgun #23
    Team Browning #43

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links