+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: Are there any good new 39's out there!

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, not to Marlins, you just picked up a 39A, I bought a 1959 model in about 1969 for $50 dollars, I was twelve, I've killed more squirrels, rabbits, birds, opossums, raccoons, chipmunks & ground hogs than I can count, I've no idea how many rounds I've fired off in all that time. She started not ejecting right, the casing would just hang and I had a couple misfires all of a sudden, well, I was traveling through Somerset, KY that summer when I ran on to an old gunsmith who was set up at a flea market, he listened to what I described and told me to replace the extractor & the firing pin, that they are both wear items. Well, that made sense, so I ordered those items and a couple other odds & ends I needed from Marlin, when I got the new items and compared those to the old stuff, it was obvious they were worn. Now, this 39A is like new, I've got a good scope on her and I can drive tacks with her at fifty yards. This tool is fifty years old, used often but well cared for, I can hand her down when the day comes, knowing she will preform as good as new. The only misfires I've ever had were when the firing pin was soo worn, before & since there has been no problem. Let me tell you that I wouldn't take anything for her, she's an heirloom piece. These are the reasons it's so hard to find a good use 39A, when folks get ahold of them, they won't let go.

Mark

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Hey Mark,
    Welcome to Marlin Owners!! I couldn't agree more with your writings/thoughts!!
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Super Site Contributor - Team 35 Remington Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Yeah, Mark, welcome to our little home away from home here at MOs. Glad to have you here with us.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hello Mark. I am newish as well, but welcome. I am glad you got your rifle up and running again. I recently inherited my fathers M39A Carbine. I got it alot sooner than I wood have liked but some things in life we cant pick the time and place for.

RLA
    Tinhorn
    Member #

i just bought a as new in box 39A that was made in 1969!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

My first post, but not my first Marlin. I picked up a new 39a two days ago, and had a chance to go to the range this morning. Absolutely sweet shooting rifle. No difficulties at all. My somewhat aging eyes were even able to use the iron sights with success. This is one nice gun.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RLA
    i just bought a as new in box 39A that was made in 1969!
    Nice!! Now where's the pics?

Quote Originally Posted by tartan427
    My first post, but not my first Marlin. I picked up a new 39a two days ago, and had a chance to go to the range this morning. Absolutely sweet shooting rifle. No difficulties at all. My somewhat aging eyes were even able to use the iron sights with success. This is one nice gun.
    Congrats on a great shootin' little rifle! Welcome to MO's as well.
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Work and finances have held up returning my 39A to the factory recommended gunsmith.
    I thought I would post some pictures of the symptoms I think are related to the headspace.
    I'm sure this made it unsafe to shoot!

All my spent cases come out bulged on the ends and they have an extra bulge/band around the shell next to the rim.

When I work the lever it doesn’t push the bolt tight against the receiver.

With a little thumb pressure the bolt tightens up.

The end of the lever has a spur/projection that has managed to make a groove in the bolt.

I'm off to the post office tomorrow.
    Ken

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Mine looks the same, and does the exact same crap. I have owned it for maybe 5 weeks and have tried everything....

Are the spent cases bulging at the bullet end of the case? Couldn't see from the pictures. What would cause that?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

On my new 39A the gap that shows on your receiver where the two join together is a perfect fit, may something not right when takedown screw is tightned down.
    "a man ought to have a good rifle, needn't be an expensive rifle, needn't be a powerful rifle, just a good rifle" - Old Moe

Veteran 68-74
    Team Old Pharts #131, "Older is better, in people and in guns"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links