+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

Model 60 peep sight

What are my options for a receiver mounted peep sight on my 60 that will not require tapping? The Williams WGSR-54 will not work according to Williams. The Willilams FP series and the Lyman's will need tapping. I have gotten this suggestion, http://www.tech-sights.com/marlin.htm that will work. If the model 60 is "the most popular .22 in the world" why is there only one peep that will fit the top rail. I know I can get a sight for the dovetail but I would like to keep the sight close my eyes for a better picture and a longer distance from front to rear sights. What am I missing?
    Mals.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Guest
    Member #

Re: Model 60 peep sight

I know williams makes one that will slide onto the dove tail cut into the receiver. I don't see why it would need tapping.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I am hoping to get a receiver mounted peep to bring it closer to my eye. Wiliams said to use the FP-GR but that puts the aperture at 10" to 12" from my eye. That seems like a long distance. I have not used a peep before so any advice on this is appreciated.

Wrangler
    Member #

Although it is true that the peep will be more effective the closer it gets to your eye (tang sights being about as close as you'll get), any peep is an improvement in accuracy over a standard rear sight. Mounting one as far aft on the standard groove cut for scope mounting on a .22 would work well, and would not alter the condition of the rifle i.e. drilling/tapping.
    The greatest effectivity in using a peep is customizing the aperture diameter to the user's eye, especially in target work. For hunting and quick target acquisition, using the peep as a ghost ring will suffice. In all cases, the front sight and the target are what do the aiming. I learned the use of peeps with either a small white dot front or globes. I haven't found much usefulness (yet) for the firesight up front. The white works as well or better.
    Jim

Deadeye
    Member #

Ignorance - Not knowing better
    Stupidity - Knowing better, but doing it anyway

Tinhorn
    Member #

I spoke to Steve at Williams and he did not reccomend the WGR because they do not stay on the rail very well. It seems that with the number of 60's out there more options would be available. I have gotten a Tasco 4x32 that I will be mounting this week. I was really hoping for a reciever mounted peep at a cost comperable to the Williams. I will keep looking.

Sidewinder
    Member #

The reason there are not many peep sights available for the Marlin 60 is that the Tech-Sights brand aperture sight set for the 60 is very, very good and costs $75 including shipping. No drilling or tapping is needed. Just a screwdriver and a little Loctite. Do It!

Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ithacabuff
    The reason there are not many peep sights available for the Marlin 60 is that the Tech-Sights brand aperture sight set for the 60 is very, very good and costs $75 including shipping. No drilling or tapping is needed. Just a screwdriver and a little Loctite. Do It!
    Ithaca, do you have a Tech sight? here's the link http://www.tech-sights.com/
    "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
    -Thomas Jefferson 1787.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by levrluvr
    I haven't found much usefulness (yet) for the firesight up front. The white works as well or better.
    +1 to levrluvr. I am in agreement. I have installed several firesights on a number of different rifles from Marlins to Muzzleloaders. I have removed them all and replaced them with either a post or white dot. While it is true that they were more visible -- though not as much as one would think compared to a white dot or post (I have installed several Millet high visibility posts) -- to me there is more light induced aiming error. To me it appears that when light comes in at an angle from the side that it tends to cause the aim point to be deflected to the side. Maybe that is just me, but any advantage that they may have is erased.

Aperture sights are quite easy to use. Just look through the hole -- don't try to center the front sight because your eye does that instinctively -- and align the front sight with the target. Make the gun go "bang."

Sidewinder
    Member #

Gonzo, I have bought two sets of Tech-Sights this month...one set for a used 60 I bought...almost my first 60 and then one set for a brand new 795 I just shot for the first time today. Love Tech-sights.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links