+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

ACCURACY OF .22 MAGNUM?

Im sitting here with 6 different boxes of .22 mag ammo and im wonderin.... which one to to use in the .22mn?? It seems like all the new stuff aint as accurate as the good ole cci maxi mag hollow point. Its cheap and it shot tighter groups than some of those plastic tips .? I dont know anyone playing with .22 mags out there Im open for any suggestions... ? Ya hear people comment and say well this bullet knocked down a pig and a deer and bla bla and I cant get mine to hit a 2 litre bottle at hundred yards with cci game points 40 grain consistant.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: ACCURACY OF .22 MAGNUM?

I have a Marlin 1894m and it really shoots the Remington premium stuff well. Usually in about 1.5 inches at 100 yards.
    I use federal champion 22 magnum fmj 40 grain to shoot cowboy pistol silhouette with, but it occasionally rings rams.

Sidewinder
    Member #

The most accurate mag ammo I have ever shot out of my marlins is the winchester 34grain supremes.
    MO Team 444 -- Member #179

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscrunch25mn
    I cant get mine to hit a 2 litre bottle at hundred yards with cci game points 40 grain consistant.
    I would ask what kind of rifle are you using and do you have a scope? I have a model 983T with a Bushnell Banner 4-12X scope on it and with PMC 40gr sp ammo I can get 1-1.5" groups at 100yds. With CCI, I can tighten that up a bit more but they cost more. The .22mag is perfectly capable of doing what you describe above with adequate practice. Try your ammo to see which groups the best and go with that and try not to get discouraged.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

25mn with a 3x9 tasco world class (Newer china one). I think the scope is kinda cheap . I got better accuracy witha prong horn fixed scope and 40 grain cci hollow points. Im wondering if shooting this gun at the range 20 or thirty times and not letting the barrel cool affecting the accuracy? I had problems with the mounts when I added the world class,so I put the dovetail one piece mount on it and it stays put but it seems with all newer ammo I just dont get the groups I would like.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

My "bench mark"" ammo for the 22WMR is CCI "TMJ" 40 grain. IF that's not available, I shoot Federal 40 grain FMJ. My 882SSV will shoot under an inch at 100 with either.

That being said, of the seven 22WMR's I own, these are not the best rounds in 4 of them. They are consistent in their quality and because of which, always perform well, but not necessarily giving the best accuracy. It's trial and error when you have a new rifle. You just need to see what works. ~Andrew

(P.S. And that being said, I took my BRNO 611A autoloader out today for the first time in years. Shot some CCI "TNT" through it. Oh my! Does that gun like that ammo!! Took out some rabbits with startling ease!)

Platinum Poster
    Member #

I use the CCI FMJ an HP's in 40 gr. in my 25 mn.. scoped it does real well.. but I have it open sites for killing fast critters around the house. It's not a primary hunting rifle.. Although it could be.
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Tinhorn
    Member #

howdy,

I tried a few in my 25m, it doesn't like winchester or cci but absolutely loves the federal 40gr FMJ and the hornady flex tips but they are too expensive here in Oz. shoot all of them find out which your rifle likes (hopefully the cheapest ones) and then stick with it.

enjoy
    Adam

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have an 882ss that shoots the cci 30 gr. tipped or hps very well and the 40 gr. are ok but not as good as 30 gr. I haven't tried the remington 33 gr. tipped they are about 5-6 bucks a box higher than cci or hornady. Les
    "Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one" talking about a gun; John Wayne

NRA member
    Marlin 1894FG 41 mag, 1894CL 218 Bee, 39a, 882ss, Model 20 pump
    Ruger BH 41 mag.

Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
    Member #

Federal makes the 50 grain .22 mag that my win 9422 just loves. It does not seem to like the lighter 32 or 33 polymer rounds. The cci works but the federal groups better and works well on fox and fox tree rats.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links