+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Model 20A ??

Wrangler
    Member #

Model 20A ??

I recently bought a Mod. 20A pump, and like it second only to my 39A and Mountie - a really neat little old timey 22. In deference to it's age, I've only fired lower pressure ammo in it (Rem. subsonic H.P.'s).
    BUT, upon firing, the action opens itself about halfway. I can put forward pressure on the forend and make it stay closed but can feel it wanting to open. I need some advice from the experts here - is this a problem with the locking block ? Can it (or whatever the problem is) be fixed, or do I have to find a replacement part ? Numrich has none, any other sources ? Thanks for any help.
    30 WCF - knocking 'em dead since 1895

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Model 20A ??

First and foremost make sure the barrel is not partialy obstructed,bent bulged or rusted shut.Then,will the action move with the hammer at full or half cock?If so you will need parts.It should not move unless hammer is in fired position.All my Marlin pump 22s(18,25,20A,29 and 37) release the bolt lock when fired.Stick with the low-P ammo.Parts are hard to find for these old pumps,I look everywhere,and put adds in all the "Want" forums and it sometimes takes years to repair one.GOOD LUCK

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Do a net search for Wisner's. They sometimes do runs on the old Marlin pump parts.

You really need to have a look at the chamber area. Unfortunately, on these old guns, the use of b.p. cartridges will erode the chamber and throat. The resulting leading will run pressures up into the dangerous zone, even with the low vel loadings. Wisner's at one time listed a replacement bolt lock. You will likely have to measure yours, as they came in different sizes, for the different model variations. You can get further help on this from the Marlin Collector's forum on this site...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Wrangler
    Member #

Well, the action cycles with the hammer at half OR full cock.
    It's in decent shape - No barrel obstruction, bulging or rust.
    Guess I better start shopping for a locking block...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I'd be very interested in how much lead comes out of the bore, during a good cleaning. It sounds like a broken bolt lock from your description- and you should question how it got broken... this is where the services of a qualified gunsmith are worth their weight in gold- never mind his fee. It's money well invested...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Wrangler
    Member #

I initially soaked the bore & chamber with Montana X-treme Cowboy Blend which has never failed to get the lead out of anything for me, followed by a good scrubbing with a proper fitting brush. I think I'll repeat the process and see if I can borrow a bore scope & get a closer look at things.
    You're right about a 'smith Doc, I just enjoy the challenge of solving what I can myself before resorting to a pro - some of whom 'aint...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links