Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New to me Marlin 881

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  toyfj40 
G
#1 ·
Well, a week ago I impulse bought an 881. I had not heard of them before, but bought on what I know of Marlin. I had been wanting a bolt .22lr for a while now and when the owner of the small gun store said it was $100 I was ready and got the go from my wife. Took it out yesterday after mounting a $25 Wal Mart BSA 4x32 fixed scope and put about 2 tubes worth into the bullseye of a Shoot n See target after zeroing at 25 yards. I am immensely happy with my purchase and look forward to getting into squirrel and rabbit hunting. Just wanted to get that out there since there was not much info available on this model. Anybody have any info on manufacture dates?

#2 ·
Nick:

I just bought a 881 also. I needed to replace my Grandpa's Mossberg Model 45B (70 year old varmint rifle). I looked around at the new 981T because I like the tube fed bolt action. I did learn during my search that the 881 is not compatible with the three types of 22 rounds, only the LR. Who cares...I can't remeber last shooting 22 shorts and from what I hear, the 22 longs aren't real popular anymore. So 22LR it is.

I paid $140 for mine, but from the action and wear patterns, this gun is like new. Mine is a 1995 model and I like the wood stock versus the poly stock on the 981T. I have tried to seek out info on the gun, and have received the owners manual from Marlin...they got me a copy in about a week.

Congrats on your purchase!

Tom

#3 ·
Welcome to both of you to the Malinowners site..

Marlin Rimfires are addictive as the centerfires for sure.. ;D

Anything you need to know about 22's Doc Sharptail and Andrew can probably answer for you..

#4 ·
Thanks for the Welcome, Gunjunkie. One of the prevailing reasons for the 881 purchase was my experience with my Marlin 1894 (.38/.357). The 1894 has been trouble free and a very nice companion to my Dan Wesson Model 15 revolver. In fact, I almost bought a Marlin Camp Carbine last year but the seller wasn't someone I was getting good vibes from. Instead, I bought a Ruger PC9 so the mags could interchange with my P-95 conceal carry weapon.

From everything I read, the 881 will be racking up a significant number of varmints on the farm!

Thanks again.

Tom

#5 ·
What impresses me about the boy's 881 is its ability to shoot just about any ammo very, very accurately. It seems to have no preference for a certain make or weight of bullet. Everything just goes into neat little 3/4" groups at 50 yds. I'm torn between feelings of joy in having made a great choice for him and envy in it not being my own.

#7 ·
In a recent attempt to cure my advanced case of "Rugertoid Marlinitis,
having previously tried the "Model 60" treatment, I'm resorting to the Bolt-Action method...
I adopted both a pre-WW2 81 and a '95 881.
I've cleaned each and they seem to cycle fine...

Is there a "source" of older-Marlin user-manuals online ?
it appears that MarlinFireArms.com only has manuals for current production...

Yes, the 881 is a beautiful rifle. checkered-Walnut stock, Marlin-Target-logo,
buckhorn rear sight with hooded-front-sight. barely any wear on the one I adopted.
-- toy

881 above, 81 below

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.