+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Marlin 39D

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin 39D

Can anybody tell me about the 39D I got today? I've never heard of this model. Serial # is 71-85xxx. It looks near new except the front sight is missing. What height should it be? Does the big knob mean it's a take-down model? Where can i find disassembly info? I would like to take it apart to clean and maybe lighten up the trigger. I've taken 94s apart but this looks different. Thanks.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Re: Marlin 39D

Any manual for the 39 will explain takedown and reassemble.. www.marlinfirearms.com has them for download..

I am not fimiliar enough to give you that much info on them.. but the experts will see this and respond
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Site Contributor Cowpoke
    Member #

No expert but here is a little for ya.

39D , Man. 1971-73. 71,72 had a grip cap and butt pad with white spacer. under 16,000 were made.

73. did not have grip cap or white spacer on the butt plate. 7,900 were made.

Pretty much a Mountie with a pistol grip stock. I think they would be handy as all get out ! My wife loves her 39A but says its heavy. I always have wanted a "D" just because it would handle like a Mountie but still have the pistol grip that some folks prefer. You are gonna love it!
    toad67 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Any chance of a picture. I'd sure like to take a look. Sounds handy as heck to me too!

Bob

"My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be"

Tinhorn
    Member #

I shot it today and it shoots real good. I had a .5" sight from a 95CB that I put on. The rear has to be all the way up to sight it in. A reply on Rimfire Central said .420 is correct. I am going to try that with a Williams 5D peep on the back.As an aside, when I first got it the action was smooth but sluggish, so i opened it up to clean it out. It was full of grease ,but it also had a red straw from an aerosol can wrapped around the lever pivot and up into the works. I would like to know just how that happened.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

It sure looks great. Would like to have one myself.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Ive got one of these, it must be a 73 because there is no white striping on it... I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how the thing works... Not very good at that lol
    bob kk likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I just bought one of these at my local Gander Mountain tonight. I go in there occasionally to peruse the used rack. Often I find deals because the kids at the counter have no idea what they're taking in on trade. If this thread is correct it's a 73 model in 95+% condition. I didn't even know the difference between the 39A and 39D but I saw the $299 price tag and knew it was too good of a deal to pass up. I was so quick to buy it I didn't even notice the pistol grip! I'm excited b/c I prefer the PG to straight. Stoked about this purchase!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Congrats Dave B, nice rifle. As Gunjunkie suggested, download a copy of the 39 manual and it will show you how to take your rifle down. Its pretty easy but well worth a read in the manual for your self.

Here's a shot of my 39AS taken apart.

Makes it easy to clean and lube.

Regards, TallGrass

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MolecularGraph View Post
    Ive got one of these, it must be a 73 because there is no white striping on it... I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how the thing works... Not very good at that lol
    I also have one without the grip cap or white line. Compared it to a 39M and the D has a smaller diameter barrel and a little lighter.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links