Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Shot my Marlin 15 at 200 yards with open sights!

832 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Charlie98 
#1 ·
Well, I got this rifle from my grandpa after it sat in a damp basement closet for 20+ years. It looked like:

I just did a quick refinish and sprayed on some ceramic coating paint stuff, it looks good enough, but the wood turned out real red, I've since added tru-oil to give it some shine:

I was bored, so today I put some nails to hold a 4"x4" metal plate up on a long board. I stuck it in the ground at 200 yards (lasered), but I couldn't see the plate, so I made a big white square on the board. After about 10 shots I knew where to hold and repainted the plate.

I was shooting prone at first, but couldn't get how I wanted, so I started shooting off of my Bushnell 1500's case. Shooting went really well, except the plate fell every time I hit it, making me get up and walk 200 yards to set it up, hence the 4 shot group instead of 5.:mad:

It looks like it is just under 2 inches:eek: , I was really impressed since my open sight abilities aren't that great and I was shooting off a rangefinder case as a front rest, nothing for a back one. Sometime I'll shoot at the same range off a real bench with a good rest and a scope. It has the elevator type sights, which I had all the way up and holding about 2 feet over the big white square, almost the top of the board.

EDIT-Totally forgot to add, I am using Wolf MT

See less See more
#4 ·
I used to shoot my M15 at those ranges, it does it with ease! I have had to switch to a 4x scope, my poor eyes can't focus on the rear sight blade anymore...

Clean it up and shoot it! My M15 was my first firearm ($79.99 in 1985) and I love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.