+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Tang Sight On A Model 39

Hello I am new to the forum and want to know if a Lyman no. 2 Tang Sight will fit a model 39 A. I had it mounted on my 1895 and it worked beautifully at the range, target shooting, but in the field I found it cumbersome plus with the recoil of a 45-70 in hunting situations it came dangerously close to hitting my eye. I really hate to see it sitting in my gunsafe in it's orange box instead of on a rifle. If I acquire a model 39 in the future I want to use an aperture sight and I think with the nonexistant recoil of a .22 a tang sight will work in the field. I thank you in advance for any help.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Tang Sight On A Model 39

I don't think it will be any less cumbersome in the field on your 39 than it was on your 45-70. I mounted a Marbles Tang sight on my son's ancient 39 because it was drilled and tapped for it already and I figured he'd probably like it for target shooting. If he gets tired of it, it will come off and be boxed as one of those ideas that didn't pan out. Personally, I find them an annoyance. They are in the way whether in use or folded. Receiver sights are much better.

I don't think Lyman says one way or another in their literature if the sight for the big bore Marlin was the same for the Model 39. I went with the Marbles for that reason.~Andrew

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Tang Sight On A Model 39

I have been looking at Skinner's web site and I think my Lyman no.2 will be on e-bay.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links