Marlin Firearms Forum banner

22 long range?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  WolfHawke 
#1 ·
Me and couple of guys I shoot with have been playing at a distance (250yrds to be exact.)with our custom ruger 22 rifles and have found them to be pretty precise & pack quite a putch at that distance.
Infact we've been able to get them down to about a 2 to 2 1/2" 10 shot groups(with out much wind of course) using 40gr ammo .
The trick is getting a scope that will 0 at 250 with a 22 trajectory, Its like aiming 8 feet over your target.
Just thought if you guys would like to have a little fun with your 22 ,then the next your at the range, you might want to try pushing the envelope with your rifle.Be safe and teach a child to shoot and keep the sport alive.

#2 ·
Congratulations... what ammo/muzzle-vel are you using ?
and your "custom barrel" ?

I've never been steady enough to keep within a 6-8" group at 100yds,
but did not seek really calm wind along the path...

my box of ammo has a warning: "can travel up to a mile"...
so, More-Challenge awaits... ;)

#3 ·
I have mine scoped for hunting small game .. but I do like to play at long distance .. My CZ 452 was a blast open sites at 200 trying for clay pidgons.. didn't hit many but scared a few.. at 100 was easy pickin's. :lol:

I have played with my 22M at 100 and beyond but my eyes aren't that good anymore.. I have a mil dot on my rifle now so I may try some 200+ stuff when I start shooting for winter again.. :lol:

The 22 is still and always will be my favorite for just having fun.. 20 bucks and you can shoot till your fingers are sore from pulling the trigger.. it just do get better than sitting around plinking with friends and shooting the BS on a sunday afternoon when you can..

#4 ·
I shoot a 22" revearse tapered green moutain barrel seating in a revial sporter thumbhole stock with a 6x24 bsa contender scope.
I"ve been shooting federal AutoMatch ammo(1200fps@muzzle)....But the other guys r using PMC Zappers & CCI Blazers (bye the way the groups shot r off the bench)I have pics on my space(myspace.com/wolfhawke) if u r interested.
Oh and what fun would it be if i did not hunt with it 8)........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.