+ Reply to Thread

Thread: marlin 780

Tenderfoot
    Member #

marlin 780

after looking over the site, i decided to jump in, hi, my name's chris. a few months ago, my girlfreind's freind gave me a marlin 780. i was her x's,
    she wanted it out of the house and would'nt take any cash for it.
    i like free guns! i suspected it has a walnut stock, sure enough, the bulls-
    eye on the underside of the stock indicated that. ( at first i thought it was
    where you put a sling stud ). i got that info on some page of the www.
    but i can't find anything else out about this gun, like when it went into production, it ain't in the catalog, so i figger marlin don't make them no more. i did find a guy that has 6 clips for 780's, think i might pick up a spare or two, but that's it! it's a good shooter, even with the cheap stuff.
    i ain't found the stuff i wanna hunt with yet, but that won't be too difficult.
    if anyone has any info on 780's, i'd like to hear it. - thanks, DD.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

marlin 780

Production is found from the first two digits of serial number..

or letter in case of the older models...

In Reference Material Forum down the page you can find .. Years of Manufacture and use it as guide.. or subtract the first two numbers of serial from 2000 on this rilfe.. 2001 on newer ones after the official 2000 year ..

example 2000 - 06XXXXXXXX would be 1994 .. ect..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Tenderfoot
    Member #

marlin 780

so, if the first two #'s are 13, it was made in '87? i guess i don't know why i can't find anything on this model. did this gun suck and marlin quit production? i love bolt action .22's. this one is good, no feed problems, i took some eggs out to the range and was hitting them @ 70 yds. open sights off a bench. my hit's were 50/50 at that range, and i suppose eggs will break on a close miss. it's a real good gun, i've had three 10/22's in the past, i don't think i'd shoot at eggs, even w/ a scope.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

marlin 780

No they just changed production numbers of it.. the new ones are 900 series now.. with new trigger system.. they had the 800 series after yours..

I have 25mn its a great shooter.. mine is hardwood stained in walnut finish.. I don't know the real reason for the changes.. only Marlin could tell you that.. may have been just some minor cosmetic ones..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #

marlin 780

welcome duckdummy, ask and thou shall receive!! From Marlin covers the 780,781,782,783,20,25 15, & 15y bolt action

My "New" 1979 Marlin 781, it's a keeper
    I see that they aren't too big, maybe you can save them to file and open them with a program that allows you to magnify them, Hope this helps you out some. Mr fixit
    TO ARMS!!
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-----Thomas Jefferson
    wisconsin-mo-ers

don't forget 09-08-14 @ 11:46 am

Tenderfoot
    Member #

marlin 780

You're going to have to work to beat a 780. My first gun bigger than a BB gun was a Marlin 780. Picked it up at a gun show with a cracked stock for next to nothing. Shot it as it was until cold weather hit, and then my father and I repaired the cracks, bedded the barrel and refinished the stock. I threw a low-end Bushnell scope on it, and had me a good looking cheap 22 bolt that shoots GREAT!

One day, I was with a friend at his Dad's house, just playing around. His Dad had hung 20 oz coke bottles on strings 25 yards from our shooting bench. After getting bored with shooting the bottles, I started shoting the strings. Mind you, that was from a bench with sandbags.- But- the gun had NO problems hittng them!

My 780 was my first Marlin, and I really can't see myself ever parting with it.

Tinhorn
    Member #

My third .22...

A used Marlin 780 was the first firearm I actually purchased myself. I was 18 y.o. and found it in a used rifle rack missing the front sight otherwise it looked like new, for $75. I haggled with the salesman and got him to get a local gunsmith to put a Marlin front sight on it for the $75.

It has been the MOST ACCURATE .22 I've ever owned, and that's been afew of them, including four other Marlin bolt actions, two Marlin semi autos, four Ruger 10/22's, two TC Contender .22 barrels, a HS handgun, a Ruger SIngle SIx and a Ruger 22/45. The 780's are shooters!!

I have a Glenfield bolt action and a Marlin E semi auto that take the same mags as the 780, so I have a LOT of them laying around! They work!!

Good luck and congratulations!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links