+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: NAA Black Widow...Anyone got one?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by njcioffi View Post
    Marlinjunkie, you like those Hornady's? I've read mixed reviews. No have 2 boxes of them but haven't shot any on account of the market

I saw a few of hose sidewinders at cabelas a few weeks ago. Glad to see that naa is doing at least a swing out cylinder, since the break top didn't work out *sigh*.
    From what I've read, the Ranger(topbreak) was always going to be a short-run item. If you find a Sidewinder, they're the same, will be disappearing fast. Grab one while you can, if you've got the spare change for it. Hate to spend that kind of dough on just a .22, I've seen .357s cheaper.

One of the gun rags, think it was Shooting Illustrated, did a test of .22 mags from short-barreled guns a couple of issues back. There were a couple of makes that were better than the Hornady self-defense stuff, can't remember what they were, though. At a buck a pop, the Hornady stuff will sit in the box for awhile, and that was well before the current shortages. I did manage to grab a couple of boxes a few months after they were announced. Last that I've seen. Even the gun show scalpers haven't had any. I ran one cylinder-full through the Earl to check the sights, it all went bang and put holes in the paper where I pointed it. I can load .357s fullhouse for cheaper.

Stan S.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    One of the gun rags, think it was Shooting Illustrated, did a test of .22 mags from short-barreled guns a couple of issues back. There were a couple of makes that were better than the Hornady self-defense stuff, can't remember what they were, though. At a buck a pop, the Hornady stuff will sit in the box for awhile, and that was well before the current shortages. I did manage to grab a couple of boxes a few months after they were announced. Last that I've seen. Even the gun show scalpers haven't had any. I ran one cylinder-full through the Earl to check the sights, it all went bang and put holes in the paper where I pointed it. I can load .357s fullhouse for cheaper.
    Good points Stan. I'll try to find that article. Would be interested in reading it. Yes there are much cheaper ways to go, and more effective calibers, but none that I'm aware of in such a small package. When I carry a back-up it's a Karr PM 9 with night sigths, also a small package and a very nice pistol. But there's just something about the little Pug, it's always with me. Thanks for the tip on the ammo. I really like Hornady stuff but I'm not married to them!
    NRA
    VFW Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member
    Team 35 # 61
    Team .45/70 # 1051
    Marlin League # 188

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Here are a couple You Tube tests on the .22 WMR from a short brl.

22 Magnum Critical Defense Ballistics Gel Test Mini Revolver
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIfJpq90V1g&feature=player_detailpage

22 Magnum Hornady 45gr FTX Critical Defense versus Ballistic Gelatin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_KS1U3aBk
    njcioffi likes this.
    NRA
    VFW Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member
    Team 35 # 61
    Team .45/70 # 1051
    Marlin League # 188

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links