+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model 20A

I made the mistake of going to my favorite gun store and found a Marlin 20A, pump action 22. The gun has not been shot much and I thought it would go nicely with my Winchester and Remington pump action collection. Anyone know anything about this model? It has been at least 15 years since I last saw one and it was a wall hanger.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Marlin Model 20A

If it looks like that, it just might be worth it

Seriously, there's a couple of things to consider. These fine little shootin irons pre-date high velocity ammo. The bolts in them are prone to cracking from modern high velocity ammo. If you get it, be prepared to find standard, or subsonic velocity ammo for it. Mine seems to like the CCI CB short well enough for close in small game hunting and plinking.

Bores on these old guns have a tendency to be sewer pipes- from the black and semi-smokeless powders that were in vogue when they were a market item. Be sure to inspect the bore before putting your money down....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 20A

Thanks Doc. The bore is in very good condition and the overall metal condition is around 85-90%. For $140 I could not pass it up. I wondered about the ammo. I figured it would be similar to my old Marlin 39. I have lots of 22 short and standard long rifle ammo.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links