+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

WGRS aperature on model 60

I am trying to install a Williams WGRS-54 grooved reciever site to my wifes model 60, and am having difficulty. The flat above the grooves on the rifle's reciever is too wide, and the radius doesnt match the site. I have filed on the site and the grooves on the reciever, and only managed to make a mess. Any suggestions? Would someone know if Williams made an adapter that would make this site a barrel dovetail mounted site? Or can I simply use epoxy to mount it on the reciever? I dont want to put too much more money into the project, so dont want to buy a different site and start over.

Thanks,

Rex

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I dont remember the sight you are speaking of, but I would make modifications to the sight, not the rifle. There is one silver lining on a model 60 reciever though. It is aluminum or something close. It had a black finish applied instead of bluing. I have touched them up with a black felt marker and paint sticks.

I don't think I would recommend gluing, expoxing, or the like, as you might not want it there permanently. Also, you may want to consider your finished height - will it match the front. The rear sight plane would have to be nearly down to the top of the reciever, to make this work, without changing the front sight.

Not sure that was much help, but it sounds like some of the projects I have tried. Some worked, some didn't. Let us know what happens.
    Regards
    Bestboss
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I opened up the base of the site as much as I could, and then had to narrow the reciever grooves as well as recut them. My grooves are not exactly level, but I did get it on there and did not have to use epoxy. It is fully functional and looks and works better than any other site I could have put on it. Also, I made a sourdough front site of the right height from a site blank I got from brownells for 5$, a lot cheaper than an XO sight systems partridge.

I did learn some things from this project, the most surprising of which is that I can make a flatter surface with a Dremel going slowly than I can with files.

Like most rifle projects, this one by no means meets my hopes but it it does work and the wife seems to like it, mostly because she gets to paint this one purple!

Rex

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

WAIT!!!
    Paint what purple
    Team 30-30 Member #33
    Team 35 Member #40
    Team 39 Member #180
    NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran

No Fear
    No Excuses
    No Mercy

Tinhorn
    Member #

The stock is to be painted purple. She has some carving to do yet too, an oak leaf I think. Yeah I know, its gaudy as heck, especially with the stainless bbl and action.

But she will go to the range now that she has her own "girl" rifle, and has even talked about going on a backpacking hunt with me this fall. So, its worth it to have her invovled with me in outdoor related activities, even if she has terrible taste in firearms.

Rex

Deadeye
    Member #

WOW!!- but I agree wholeheartedly with getting her to go along and it is her gun.I've had my eye out for years for a 989 m2 and when does it come along?Just as I've finally got my wife to show an interest in leaning a little about guns and shooting! {and it fits her great}Luckily she shows no inclination to paint it a more feminine color-yet.shootrj2003
    eing of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace...I'm armed

Tinhorn
    Member #

shootr,

I was surfing rimfirecentral one night looking at the pics of 10/22s, and my wife came in and looked over my shoulder. I was hoping to get to build one at the time, and started explaining the process to her. We flipped through a bunch of photos, and she got all excited at the really wild builds. It was there that she learned that they can come in "pretty" colors, and its been downhill ever since. She didnt know that you could get them "shiny" (Stainless) or that they could be refinnished in anything but walnut.

I guess I am saying, just wait till your wife finds that out too!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

RexM - I think it's great that your wife shows an interest in guns. A backpacking hunt with the Mrs. could be great fun for both of you.

I brought my Model 1936 home unannounced and she thought it was "pretty". Yea, the case color and the walnut do look good.
    She wasn't as impressed with the 336 35. I think it looks good but she just looked at me out of the corner of her eye like she was thinking she should keep a better watch on my activities.
    But the Golden 39A she saw just prior to my buying it. Then she went out a bought a bunch of shoes.
    She has fired the 1936 30-30 and the 336 35 but not the 39A yet. I'm afraid she's gonna like it when she does shoot it - I sure do.

Shoot and enjoy...
    Team 30-30 Member #33
    Team 35 Member #40
    Team 39 Member #180
    NRA Member
    US Navy Veteran

No Fear
    No Excuses
    No Mercy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Hey guys...if it helps to get your Mrs. interested in your shooting sport, let her paint the stock skyblue/pink...and give her some gold sequins for it...then thank your lucky stars !!...LOL
    "The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison of Virginia, The Federalist, No. 46)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links