+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin Model 15, and Marlin Glenfield Model 20

Anyone know anything about these guns? I got them from my grandpa, they were sitting in a basement closet rusting away for the last 20 years at least. I cleaned the Model 15 up, I shot some 1 inch groups at 25 yards with the open sights. The Glenfield Model 20 I plan on cleaning up sometime, it's a real shooter. .13 C-T-C at 25 yards. I'm gonna try to beat that Black Death Challenge with it. Thanks for any replies.
    Youngest member in the band of 45-70ers*

Platinum Poster
    Member #

I am not fimiliar with them,, but post your questions and I am sure you will get answers.
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Tinhorn
    Member #

I was mostly wondering about when they were made, and whatever else people know about them.. I haven
    t been able to find any info about them at all. Some website said that The Marlin Glenfield 20 was either made from 1907-1909 or 1907-1922, but I don't think the gun is that old.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

There were a lot of different styles, bolt and autos, made under the Glenfield logo.

In the early 70's I remember having a sale on the model 75, which was a little autoloader. I think we sold 50-60 of them with scope for the fair price of 25.00 ea. We also featured the Winchester 190 with scope for 34.00. That was too much for a 22 at the time but we sold some anyway.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the 190's I see today are all in need of help. The Glenfields seemed to have weathered better.

Oh and stick this in your cap, the Federal 22 shells - the good copper clad ones, went for the pricey sum of .39 cents. The Winchester Wildcats - still got some with the .25 cent price tags on them. They don't shoot any better now than then. So why is Winchester on the skids?
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Ok I think I found some information on the Model 15. My uncle is 32 and he got it new when he 8 or 9. A book I have said it was made in the late 70's through early 80's.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Go here

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=11722

This will help you determine the date of manufacture for your rifles.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

My first rifle was a Marlin Model 15 single shot .22, I bought it in 1986. Single shots were fairly common back then but the 'bigger, faster' mentality took over and you can hardly find a decent single-shot anymore. Everyone wants a repeater, now. Marlin does not catalog the 15 anymore except the 15Y which is a Youth model with a shortened stock and barrel.

Sometimes I will just take that and maybe my Browning Buckmark to the range and pop off a couple boxes of ammo, I have always enjoyed shooting it and it still shoots very well with pretty much everything I shove in it. I have put a 4X scope on it (because of my aging eyes.) I did have some issues (still do, once in a while...) with spotty ignition on certain brands of ammo.

Nice, simple design, no gunky checkering, easy to clean and accurate. Just doesn't get much better than that!
    Define 'integrity'

rfd
    Tinhorn
    Member #
    though i own and shoot more than a few rifles and handguns these dayze, my first firearm was, and still is, a marlin model 15. bought brandy new in 1984. a few years later i added a 4x bushnell scope, and last year i changed that out to a 3x9 lepers. great gun, super accurate out to 50 yards and beyond with the right ammo (and operator ).

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links