+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What ammo are you shooting through your (micro groove) .22 WMR

Tinhorn
    Member #

What ammo are you shooting through your (micro groove) .22 WMR

I am relatively new to owning micro-groove barrel Marlin guns. I have an XT-22TR (Love it) and have an XT-22 MVSR (.22 WRM) on the way. I have been told that the micro groove rifling on the Marlins tend to shoot better with lower velocity ammo (something about the shallower grooves not biting into the bullet as much, which tends to produce worse results the higher the velocity is), which apparently was also the case with the old Cooey rifles. To be honest, I don't know from my own (limited) experience with Marlins.

Therefore, mostly with respect to .22 WRM, I am wondering what you guys have had good success with? Anyone tried the polymer tipped offerings from Hornady, CCI, Remington, Federal, or Winchester? These all tend to be in the 30gr. range. What about the Federal 50gr. JHP? What about the 40gr. variations?

I am looking for comments on accuracy, as well as how effective they are if you have hunted with them.
    Last edited by HK45; 02-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #
    Mostly Federal in the 550 bulk pack. I stay away from Rem unless it's sub sonic or shorts.

Most microgroove guns I've tested and own seem to like the Federals for the most part, and the only other I shoot is CCI Standard velocity, reason is simple they have a slight accuracy edge over the Federals, and they don't cost an arm and a leg to shoot.
    MissMaggie likes this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I ran a hundred CCI's Maxis to 'break in' & 'season' the barrel when I bought my new 925RM. Afterwards I've been using whatever I can find....
    I support gay marriage. As long as both chicks are hot......

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have an 882 and 982 and I have not found anything that groups measurably better than anything else. I spent an entire day shooting Armscor, Fiocchi, Remington, Winchester, Hornady and CCI at 100 yards and the only thing I observed was this, Winchester Dynapoints print lower. The 982 with heavy barrel shoots no better than the 882 with tapered barrel. So buy what's cheapest but skip the Dynapoints, you'll have to adjust your sights for that if you zero for one of the others.
    Team 30-30 Member No. 223
    Team 444 Member No. 333

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by swany View Post
    Mostly Federal in the 550 bulk pack. I stay away from Rem unless it's sub sonic or shorts.

Most microgroove guns I've tested and own seem to like the Federals for the most part, and the only other I shoot is CCI Standard velocity, reason is simple they have a slight accuracy edge over the Federals, and they don't cost an arm and a leg to shoot.
    I have found CCI standard velocity to be really decent in my XT.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    We tried some 30 gn'rs gummie tips that were faster, they were the only ones that did not have much accuaracy, it seems they were all over the place. We finnally settled on CCI mini mag 40 gn. Seem to shoot well, priced OK.
    Ron
    Bellingham, Washington

US Navy Retired

"Trust....but Verify" President Ronald Reagan

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I just bought a bunch of CCI game points which are more or a soft point. Anyone shoot the gamepoint? It was the first time I remember seeing them. My 783 loves he Hornady 30 gn red tipped round.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Yep, Ha Dingus you have the secret. I shoot nothing but CCI and Federal. If I want to shoot head shots, I match the CCI rounds and have no flyers ever. I also match the Federals as well. Even with matching, they are always about an 1" lower than my CCI groupings. All I ever have to do is 4 click ups for the Federal or 4 Clicks down for the CCI. Rifles have 1/4 MOA and its very accurate on both the M60d or 39a.

P.S. Give Elmer Keith a good hello and welcome to Marlin Owners. Your work with the 44 S&W in the 629 - 6 helped a good bit. I shoot it almost always single action now....love the firearm. Thanks HK45
    Last edited by MissMaggie; 02-03-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Wrangler
    Member #
    The cci & winchesters run good in my 22 882SSV marlin mag,I like the win for hunting but the cci solids in it are more accurate at 100y or i should say use to be,been a few years since i bench tested them.ammo changes from time to time & only 1 way to find out.In my 22lr i prefer fed 40g solid lead,no hollow pts needed just accuracy
    real squirrel hunters use rimfires

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    My only Marlin .22 WMR is pretty old - - a model 57M.

I don't shoot it very often (I'm the original owner, probably has less than 200 rounds hrough it), but I pulled it out last year and was getting 1/2" groups @ 100 yards (3-9x scope) w/ CCI Maxi-Mags.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links