+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

New Marlin XT-22 .22 Mag

Wanted a .22 Mag for under 100 yards for Fox and Yotes night and Day. Trying to find one around here in SE Michigan right now is NUTS cause I guess everyone thinks guns are gonna be banned and everyone is buying guns. Gander Mountain had an 1 1/2 Hour wait to even get help at the Gun counter!

I was looking at the Savages but called Dunhams and they said they had a Marlin and since my .22 LR I got from my Grandpa is a Marlin and I am happy with it I decided to not wait the 1 1/2 hours at Gander and made the purchase.

It's a beautiful Gun and I can't wait to shoot it! Any tips besides cleaning it before the first time shooting?

Here it is!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I got a XT-22TSR (stainless 22 tube feed) I love my XT-22 it is a very good shooter, I would say just shot it

Rick

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I can't find the ballistics for Winchester Super X 22 MAG 40 Grain JHP.

I might go to a 25 yard indoor range today to sight it in and I need to know where the bullet is at 25 yards if it's zeroed at 100 Yards.

Would also like to know the whole ballistics as most of my shots will be 80 yards and under...

Can anyone help? Winchester Ammo's site seems to be down...

Deadeye
    Member #
    Good Morning DonMCJr,

First, Welcome to MO. Fine looking rifle you have and one you will really enjoy shooting and hunting with. I have two Marlins in 22 WMR, a 983 and an XT-22 MV with the bull barrel. Both are great shooters and I love carrying either of them in the woods.

When you go to the range today, if you sight in just high (.10" - .25") at 25 yards you should be close to 1" high at 50 yards, 1.1" at 75 yards and zero at 100 yards. That info is from the CCI site for their Maxi-Mag 40 gr, JHP 22 WMR, load # 0024. I have compared the ammo you listed with the CCIs in my rifles and they perform pretty much the same as far as elevation over 100 yards.

Every rifle is different and only yours can tell you which ammo it likes best so you will want to try several different brands and loads until you see what works best in your rifle. In mine, the CCI 40 gr Maxi-Mags group the best but the Federal Game-Shok 50 gr JHP also shoots well but not as flat, a trade off for the heavier bullet.

Until you can get the Winchester ballistics info, I think the data I provided above will get you going. Enjoy your new rifle and be sure to put up some pictures and a range report when you get a chance.

Regards, TallGrass

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks TallGrass! I have been searching for tractory for about 2 hours now and that's all I came up with too. I am gonna try and call in a Red Fox and it's gonna be a 25 yard shot if it comes to where I have been seeing it so I'm gonna go with just a bit high at 25 yards. The other spot I will be hunting from can have up to an 80 yards shot so I should be good.

I'm so tempted to just go sight it in in my 7 Acre Backyard but that's where I'm hunting and I don't want the Red Fox to get scared away!

Thanks again!

Deadeye
    Member #
    You are welcome, good luck!

TallGrass

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Here's the Red Fox Sunday Morning around 10 am... If all goes well I'll have a video of the Hunt!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Went to the range Monday and it shoots like a dream! Got her all sighted in and went home and went right out and tried calling the Fox in...no luck!

Gonna try night hunting this weekend!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Good show, she should have almost been putting them in the same hole at 25 yards. Any issues with failure to feed or extract? If not it's good to hear of another functional XT-22 to balance the negative reports.

My XT-22 MV was problem free as well. While it wasn't bad to begin with, the trigger smoothed up considerably after the first few hundred rounds. I have not made any adjustments to mine yet.

Best of luck with your pursuit of the fox.

Regards, TallGrass

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Your rifle looks a twin to mine. I'm very satisfied with it. I've found that the CCI MaxiMags are more accurate, than the Winchester offerings.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links