+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Review of my Savage 64

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Review of my Savage 64

Hi fellas,
    Let me start off by saying Im a dyed in the wool model 60 fan.Always have been.
    I went to my local gs last week to pick up a used glenfield I had spotted a couple days earlier while on a lunch break visit.
    With cash in pocket,I was bummed to find it had been sold.For whatever reason,most people where I live dont appreciate marlin rifles.Thats usually good for me.
    What I did find was a rifle I had never seen before,A Savage model 64 semi 22lr.
    The rifle had an attractive hardwood stock,free floated barrel,and a very solid thick metal 10 round mag.Not a scratch on the gun.I purchased the rifle,4x tasco /w 1inch rings otd for $145.
    I feel like what Im about to tell you is like cheating on your girlfriend but,it is what it is.
    At fiffty yards this rifle puts ten shots in a ragged hole the size of a dime.Honest!
    To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement.I repeated this grouping over and over!
    I hate saying this rifle is more accurate than my other model 60's but it is.
    Next I brought it home ,googled a video to learn how to disassemble so I could clean it
    Once again,I hate to say that this gun was very well designed.So easy to disassemble a monkey could do it.
    Easier to clean than a model 60? YES.
    I will also add that the guts of this rifle are not plastic,but steel.Very rugged simple design.
    Now Im not saying you should go out and replace your 60 with one of these.
    What I am saying is,If you are in the market for an inexpensive,well made,easy to strip and clean,and very accurate 22lr.
    Do yourself a favor and consider one of these weapons.You for certain will not be disappointed.
    I also head shot a red squirrel with this rifle today that I later used my rangefinder to find the distance of the shot.45 yards drt.
    Ive got big plans for this rifle.As much as I cant help feeling guilty saying this,im gonna say it anyway.When it comes to a comparison,the model 60 has nothing over this rifle.Stone me if you will, but thats just the way it is.Remember i said I am A lifelong fan of the model 60.But it is what it is.Here are a couple pics.DSCF2347.jpgDSCF2348.JPGDSCF2349.JPG
    Eli Chaps, T-Roy, jhl and 2 others like this.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Also the barrel comes apart from the all steel ,blued reciever for cleaning.A very nice option.For ammo I was using federal bulk hollow points.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    anyone else own one?
    - Fran-

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice looking wood. Is it walnut ?
    336C 30 WCF Big Buck Killer and Accurate ! 1981
    Glenny 30A 30 WCF 1980
    336 ADL 32 Special 1949
    336SC 32 special 1952
    336CS 35 Rem 1990 my favorite !
    336A 35 Rem 1950
    X7 30-06
    Beautiful Wife who Supports my Habits ! -1961

Team X7 #12
    Team 32 Special member #111

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thats kool Fran,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,that you didnt get stoned to death yet, LOL!!!!!!

No seriously, nice looking 22, and even nicer that it shoots so well and fieldstrips nice N easy.
    Good luck with it and Enjoy
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    New York Levergunners

FUAC

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Nice looking wood. Is it walnut ?
    no sir,it is birch.
    - Fran-

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Fran,

Is this a current production model? Does the scope mount into machined slots? Sort of looks that way in the pic but hard to tell.

I'm thinking that this is the Chaps Year of the Rimfire so I would be interested in learning more. Savage has definitely caught my eye.
    deerhog likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli Chaps View Post
    Fran,

Is this a current production model? Does the scope mount into machined slots? Sort of looks that way in the pic but hard to tell.

I'm thinking that this is the Chaps Year of the Rimfire so I would be interested in learning more. Savage has definitely caught my eye.
    Hello Erik!I believe this is last years model.There are about 6 variations of this rifle currently available.I looked on Buds guns to see the others after I bought this one.Mine does not have factory sights.And yes the reciever is grooved for scope mounting.Im excited that your interested to learn more!.Honestly Erik,from one rimfire fan to another,I surely hope you get to put your hands on one.Im amazed that I have not been turned onto these sooner.Blinders I guess.When it comes to rimfires,im kind of a Marlin snob.Not so much anymore.If you have a chance to shoot one of these and take it apart to clean,you will see what im talking about,and draw your own conclusion.They also come with synthetic stocks and factory sights.Plus they sell for about $60 less than a new 60!These rifles are for real! and an excellent value.Wait till you see the quality of the magazines alone! its crazy.Thanks for showing some interest as I have not had any responses to this thread and I am very stoked for someone else to confirm these very well built affordable rifles.
    - Fran-

Tinhorn
    Member #

Smile

I have Savage 64 birch stock with beautiful tiger striping. Shoots as nice as my 60's .Cliff
    deerhog likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    How much did savage pay you?

Very nice looking rifle. I am starting to shoot .22's more due to ammo cost. I had a savage bolt (forget the model) with a heavy barrel that I am shooting myself for getting rid of.
    deerhog likes this.
    Marlin 1895M
    Marlin 336CS
    Marlin Model 60
    Marlin 12 gauge single shot

TEAM 450 ~ Member# 119 1895M ported

TEAM 35 ~ Member# 458 336CS
    TEAM 60 ~ Member# 146

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -- Thomas Jefferson

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links