+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dditch66
  • 1 Post By Gordy

Thread: Which Williams sight?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Question Which Williams sight?

Want to get a Williams 5D series dovetail mount rear peep sight for my Marlin XT22 but the sight is offered in two versions: the 5D-AG for high line of sight and the 5D-GR for low line of sight. Which one do I need? I am thinking low line of sight, but don't know for sure. Or does someone offer a custom fit peep sight that mounts to the Weaver base scope mount holes? Experience in this circumstance would be golden.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Well, I have a tech sight for my 795 that also fit my XT22. It included a front sight that screws on replacing the old and a 3/8" dovetail rear mounted sight. You just screw
    This is easy to do.

Originally, I had the stock sights, then I purchased fire sights to get my kids to shoot fixed sights but be able to aim better. I then got a rear williams Peep sights.
    So I guess I've tried/played with a variation to experiment.

The Williams rear Peep sight needed LOTS of filing to get it to fit. You have to file to reduce the inner width and file at an angle to get it to fit. That was a pain to do w/o ruining it. The stock front sight was too low to use with that peep sight so I used the front fire sight and still had to file down the back of the elevation ramp.

SOOOO, if you REALLY want peep sights, but don't want to spend $70 for Tech Sights, be prepared to spend almost half that anyway and a bunch of filing.

I don't know if there is a skinner sight that bolts on,but I really wanted some windage control and did not see one when I first looked.

I will tell you this, when I went from the stock sights to the Williams firs sights, my 50 yard groups we cut nearly in half. It was much more repeatable with the aiming. Same thing when going to peep sights, the groups were reduced again. (this is bench shooting). I never compared offhand cause I wanted to quantify the sights and not my offhand stability. I also tried Red Dot which was really easy to aim too and has other aspects as well.

My XT22 is scoped now but I can throw the fixed sights on at any time if I want. I liked the 795 with the tech sights when I had them on, It's scoped but I'll be tossing the tech sights on shortly to do some more indoor offhand 25yd shooting.

If your interested in what williams stuff still, let me know and I'll pull part #'s from my online order history.
    ekoutdoorz likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I plan on ordering a Skinner Peep for my model 60. They are pretty nice looking RIMFIRE GROOVE SIGHTS
    ekoutdoorz likes this.
    336C 30 WCF Big Buck Killer and Accurate ! 1981
    Glenny 30A 30 WCF 1980
    336 ADL 32 Special 1949
    336SC 32 special 1952
    336CS 35 Rem 1990 my favorite !
    336A 35 Rem 1950
    336 RC 35 Rem 1968
    X7 30-06
    Beautiful Wife who Supports my Habits ! -1961

Team X7 #12
    Team 32 Special member #111

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Just found a front/rear peep sight set made by Tech-SIGHTS on their site. It is a beefy fully adjustable hooded/winged sight made especially for the XT series. Seems very reasonably priced and very durable. Thanks for the info. Also am considering the Skinner sight, but it seems the one that will fit the XT will not have windage adjustment. But like that the aperture is changeable where it seems the Tech-SIGHTS one is not. Thanks for the ideas.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Reading your post wanted me to throw the Tech sights onto the 795 again and head to indoor range which is what I did at lunch today.

I use a bushness magnetic boresighter and I have the "true center" written down and MAN, I did not have to touch the tech sight at the range after only adjusting it at home.

My offhand at 25yrds with the tech sights was better than the scope was. Maybe the reduction of the height from center of the bore to the peep or just me not seeing the target waivering around in the scope made a difference but I was pleasently pleased at how well it shot today standing at 25yrds. I'm going to have to go back and shoot some more with the tech sights next week.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links