+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The NEW .17 Winchester Super Mag is here!!!!

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBigLoop View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the lure of the 3000fps rimfire?

I have more than one .22, why not, ammo is cheap and I can hunt or plink all day out to 60 yards with a decent rifle and ammo, but why do I need a rimfire .17 that performs worse than my old .222 centerfire rifle - or a modern .223 for that matter?

For me, and I'm sure to be called wrong, this cartridge fills a very small niche - loooong range rimfire hunting and plinking. $0.30 a round isn't too far off bulk 223 at $0.50 a pop or less for UMC and .223 can be reloaded to any recipe you can imagine.

The 17 HMR and 22 Mag both make sense and sell like hotcakes. I hope I'm wrong, but this new offering, though technically advanced and a superb performer (for what it is) seems to be enjoying the benefit of "The Cult of the New" - like the 7mm WSM or the 325 WSM or the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag or the 243 WSSM or... well the list goes on. Heck - I've been holding out on the 17HMR to see if it was going to be a survivor... you can't fool around with rim-fire - anyone with an old 25 Stevens or 32rf knows you can't hand load for the little buggers!
    Well the lure for me is that its cheap to shoot and I don't have to chase brass and reload to make it that cheap. Its going to be good enough for 'yotes out to 250-300yds and at basically the same price as the .17 HMR, it has alot better chance than any of the cartridges(7mm WSM, 325 WSM, 7mm RUM, and .243 WSSM) you mentioned cause the rifle is affordable($280-$290 street price) and the ammo is affordable both awesome selling points. Winchester has made a smart move in my book.

Have a coworker thats a gun dealer and I think I've got me one preordered already!!
    JimmyBigLoop likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    Dang it, a new caliber. I am a caliber junkie so this is not good news. Maybe I can ignore the cravings, maybe not. I saw some nice pics and an article in Guns & Ammo as well. I am getting the shakes....
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    When are the guns coming?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Too bad with the nice new 8 round rotary mag....those guns are illegal in NY thanks to the idiot Cuomo....oh well.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I had the same reaction, but then I'm not sure what the typical costs for .17 cal are, nor what conditions that caliber would be better than say .22wmr, .22hornet, 222/223, 22-250, etc.

I'm not a .17 fan, but probably because I load my own 3000fps 34gr sub-MOA 22 Hornet load for less than a dime each. If I was not a loader it might be tempting, although I've found 22mag to also shoot tiny groups well past 100meters/yards, at least out of the ones I own.

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    "only"? I guess that is relatively cheap for the over 100 yd crowd.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBigLoop View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the lure of the 3000fps rimfire?

I have more than one .22, why not, ammo is cheap and I can hunt or plink all day out to 60 yards with a decent rifle and ammo, but why do I need a rimfire .17 that performs worse than my old .222 centerfire rifle - or a modern .223 for that matter?

For me, and I'm sure to be called wrong, this cartridge fills a very small niche - loooong range rimfire hunting and plinking. $0.30 a round isn't too far off bulk 223 at $0.50 a pop or less for UMC and .223 can be reloaded to any recipe you can imagine.

The 17 HMR and 22 Mag both make sense and sell like hotcakes. I hope I'm wrong, but this new offering, though technically advanced and a superb performer (for what it is) seems to be enjoying the benefit of "The Cult of the New" - like the 7mm WSM or the 325 WSM or the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag or the 243 WSSM or... well the list goes on. Heck - I've been holding out on the 17HMR to see if it was going to be a survivor... you can't fool around with rim-fire - anyone with an old 25 Stevens or 32rf knows you can't hand load for the little buggers!

Exactly! It's a diminutive round that isn't reload able and certainly isn't adequate for coyotes if you want to be humane and is expensive to shoot. 15-18 dollars per 50 is rediculous for rim fire.
    JimmyBigLoop likes this.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
    Dang it, a new caliber. I am a caliber junkie so this is not good news. Maybe I can ignore the cravings, maybe not. I saw some nice pics and an article in Guns & Ammo as well. I am getting the shakes....
    I agree!! This will be the first time I'll be able to afford to get a brand new caliber and gun when it first comes out, and I can't wait!!! Will know for sure if I got mine preordered in the next couple days. I can't wait to be apart of the rimfire revolution!!

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    When are the guns coming?
    End of March to early April.

Wes
    Gunfighter
    Member #
    I agree with Tim Lee to a point. I am able to do what this round will accomplish with my CZ 221 Fireball. I could see this going well with non reloaders though.
    I sold my HMR rifle after being disappointed with killing power on jackrabbit size game and up. I think the 22 Mag was better in some ways.

Tim Lee you have the title to my favorite Waylon song at the bottom there. Two thumbs up from a huge Waylon Jennings fan!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Wes -

I like Waylon, but I'm an even bigger Bob Wills/Texas Swing fan. Click on the text on the Bob Wills notation in my signature.... It's a link you'll get a kick out of.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    ....(snip)

Tim Lee you have the title to my favorite Waylon song at the bottom there. Two thumbs up from a huge Waylon Jennings fan!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links