+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Browning X-Bolt or Browning A-Bolt Rifle which one ???

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Browning X-Bolt or Browning A-Bolt Rifle which one ???

I'd like to add a FAST Bolt Action Rifle to my Stable later this Summer and have narrowed it down to a Browning A-Bolt or X-bolt with the 60 degree Bolt lift in 308 Caliber. I plan on using the Federal Fushion "LITE" 170 grain Ammo with it. This is the same Ammo I use in my Remington 760 .308 Pump.

I looked at a Browning X-Bolt "Micro Midas" Hunter in 308 with a 20" barrel and it seemed to fit & feel perfect although I may still get the longer barreled Rifle.

I've heard a couple negative thing's about the Browning X-Bolt's (trouble cycling ammo) but nothing bad about the older Browning A-Bolt's.... The X-Bolt seem's to have so many custom Rifle option's incorporated into it for an over the counter gun it seem's like you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Anyone have any feedback on either of these rifles? I would certainly appreciate it.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Can't tell you about the X-bolt, but I do own an A-bolt in .300 Win Mag. After 30-40 rounds the action got really smooth and slick. Also a very accurage rifle right out of the box.

Selection may be a bit thin, but Gallery of Guns has some A-bolts for real good prices right now.
    marksman336 likes this.
    Tim
    CWO4 (Comms) USCG (ret) - NRA life member.
    Team 45-70 #206
    Marlin model 60 .22 semi-auto,
    New model 1894 .357,
    New model 1894 .44mag,
    New model 1895 45-70 and a
    XL7 in 25-06.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have fired both in .325WSM in a side by side comparison, (same load) I think they are pretty much the same BUT the Xbolt does seem to handle the recoil much better. It's a different recoil pad.
    Hope this helps.
    marksman336 likes this.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have a pair of left handed A-bolt medallions that I bought 15 or so years ago.. 270 and a 300 win mag. Ive not shot the 300 win mag much at all. But I have the 270 alot, it is a fine rifle, very accurite. The action is very smooth an quick. I didnt like the glossy stock so I stripped it down an put tongue oil on it. Turned out much more to my liking.. Its got abunch a good huntin memories with it.
    I dont know much about the x-bolts, other than what Ive read.
    marksman336 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have 3 A-Bolts. A .270 LH Stalker, a .308 LH Micro hunter, and a .25wssm Stalker. All 3 are more accurate out of the box than they have a right to be. All 3 cycle like glass and are stone reliable. I have limited experience with the X-Bolt, but have sold a couple and handled a few more. They seem to have all of the good A-Bolt qualities with perhaps a few refinements BUT for my taste they look a little too modern and spacey for me. Just a personal taste thing. I'd bet my 51 Waffle top .35 Rem that they perform as well as their older brother! It's your money...buy the one YOU like!
    marksman336 likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have a A-Bolt blued synthetic in 260 Rem and for some reason this caliber is kinda hard to find. I have run through a lot of real nice rifles in my lifetime but I like the A-Bolt. It is accurate, lightweight, and functions perfectly. My buddy had one for years in a 270 and he was deadlly with it.
    marksman336 likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Thank's guy's for the Feedback.

It look's like the Browning A-Bolt's have a stellar reputation....

Be nice to get more feedback on the Browning X-Bolt's as they haven't been around as long as the A-Bolt's.

Does anyone shoot the Federal "Fusion" Ammo? I shoot Fusion in .308 "LITE". It turn's my Remington 760 Gamemaster .308 Pump into a hot 30-30 with much less Recoil and Concussion. Your limited though to about 200 yard's. It's the only way I know to shoot a newer quality Pump Rifle with 30-30 characteristic's. Now I want a Browning A-Bolt or X-Bolt. The X-Bolt's I've looked at are the smoothest, fastest cycling bolt Rifles I have ever handled. I assume by what I've heard here the A-Bolt's are the same. The smooth 60 degree bolt lift is nice for mounting a Scope.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    No input on the X bolt, but i own 3 A-bolts {223,243,300 Win Mag} and they are Great guns, not a single complaint here.The 60deg bolt is real nice, it was 1 of the reasons for the purchase when it came out, than i just liked the guns so much i bought a couple more.

My 243 A-Bolt is still one of my favorite rifles, i would like to find a ultralight synthetic stock for it, any ideas on a stock or maker of a stock for it?

Good luck
    BG4570
    marksman336 likes this.
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    New York Levergunners

FUAC

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    OP,

I own one A-Bolt and two X-Bolts. I own a A-Bolt 22-250 and an X-Bolt in 7mm-08 and 223. I prefer the X-Bolt for the magazine, adjustable trigger, and the way the bolt works. Truth is, both are excellent rifles but I cannot confirm any feed issues with the X-Bolt, mine have been perfect feeding many 223 and 7mm-08 bullets. In fact, I really fouled up my 223 one day and it took me a long time to get all that copper out but there were no feeding issues. I would imagine a 308 would feed great and you will love the drop-out composite magazines and adjustable trigger on the X-Bolt.

If you were here in Utah I would just give you one of each to shoot for a while.

You can never go wrong with a Browning bolt action rifle.
    marksman336 likes this.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have never shot the X-Bolt, I can't get past the looks of the rifle. I do have two A bolts (one is my son's) and they both shoot great. The X-Bolt may very well be a good rifle but I sure wished Browning would stop putting the "Euro" look on their guns!
    marksman336 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links