Marlin Firearms Forum banner

6.5x55 or 7mm-08

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  mommicked 
#1 ·
I have both in tikka t-3's I have to sell one, which one should I keep?

I love the 6.5 but the 7mm-08 reloading componts are easier to find.

#2 ·
6.5, obviously, a good Nordic rifle deserves the best Nordic chambering ;D

#5 ·
HEard great things about teh 7-08. But I have a Win M70 FW in 6.5. And I know all the deer that it has taken, and VERY efficiently and clean. My 14 yo just took it this weekend. He has taken 3 deer, 2 w/ the 6.5. One at 25 yds and one at 100. And both dropped in their tracks. Also finishing a Swede sporter build. If it were me, I would DEF keep the 6.5.

#7 ·
Looks like it's unanimous, Dale, and for good reason. Guess that settles that. Next question? ;D

#8 ·
It's up to you of course. You could keep the hum drum 7mm-08, or you could keep the round that is soft on the shoulder but has the power that many a Swedish moose fear. Quite accurate too. If it was me, I'd sell both the Tikkas and get a CZ full stock in 6.5x55, but that's me.

Just kidding, the Tikka in 6.5 should be a wonderful rifle that will last a lifetime. You don't have to worry about ammo if you pick up reloading, and .264 bullets don't seem to be that hard to find if you can shop the Internet.

Good luck with either choice.

#10 ·
I hate to go against the grain but I would go with the 7mm/08 for a number of reasons.
1) Availability of ammo.
2)Availability of components ( cases ) commercial and military.
3)Can be loaded from 100gr. to 175gr. for varmint and big game. Better selection of bullets.
4) A 7mm/08 is said to be in performance on the heels of the 270 Win.
5) It can out perform the 6.5 X 55 and the 260 Rem. with equal weight bullets.
6) Although the 7mm/08 is considered on the light side for large big game and the 6.5 X 55 Swedish has been noted for harvesting Moose. The answer for this is easy. The 6.5 X 55 Swiss was adopted in 1894 by the Swedish military. Millions of 6.5 X 55 Swiss surplus were sold cheap. My older brother bought one for $12. 50 years ago and the gun shops had them by the crates.
It can be said the same about the 7mm X 57 Mauser.
The 7mm/08 was introduces in 1980 84 years after the 6.5 Swiss and in different times because today we have choices, a selection of calibers in different cartridges. We can selected the cal./cartridge to suite the game. So if giving a choice we would probably use a 30/06 to a 300 Weatherby mag. for Moose.

So if your aim is to have a modern accurate deer rifle the 6.5 or 7mm is as good as each other. But I would pick the 7mm/08 over the 6.5 X 55 any day. Just my opinion.

TO NY

#11 ·
I would also lean to the 6.5, however the Fins are not going to stop making them. The importers may stop bringing them to this country?? For killing stuff in this country, you cannot make a mistake with either. Good day, Jack

#13 ·
It seems most guys are going with the sentimental favorite...6.5x55. What it's gonna boil down to is which one do you like better, shoot better or is your sentimental favorite?

A 6.5 shooting 140gr bullets and a 7mm08 shooting 154gr bullets work equally well all day long.

#14 ·
City Slicker said:
It seems most guys are going with the sentimental favorite...6.5x55. What it's gonna boil down to is which one do you like better, shoot better or is your sentimental favorite?

A 6.5 shooting 140gr bullets and a 7mm08 shooting 154gr bullets work equally well all day long.
FWIW - I have had EXCELLANT results with the Speer Hot Cor 120 grn on deer and small hog. A number have been bang-flop. Both my son's deer were, at 25 yds and 100 yds. Speer is discontinuing the Hot Cor, but expect the new Deep Curl to work just as well. I like the 120 as a little flatter and a little faster. YMMV

#15 ·
You have to decide which one is your personal favorite. The 6.5 will probably sell more quickly and possible for more money than the 7-08. If you need money quickly, put both of them up for sale and keep the one doesn't sell first.

#16 ·
Can't go wrong with either, though my first buck fell to a 6.5x55 Kimber Swedish Mauser Sporter. Still regret selling that rifle.....OTOH, I've always wanted to fool with the 7-08 and ne'er have. Tough call, but if you get to keep either one you win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.