Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Remington 597 problem

8K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  MarlinXL7 
#1 ·
I got a 597 for Christmas of '08. It had a small piece missing in the trigger assembly, but the gun still worked so I didn't bother Remington. It worked fine until recently, when it started failing to cock. I took the gun apart, fitted everything every which way, but it still won't cock. Some piece in the inside isn't working right, and I think it's due to the missing piece--but if it is, why did it not mess up until now? The gun's still under warranty, and I emailed Remington but still haven't heard back from them. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their 597? If so, how did you fix it (please don't tell me you sold it, because it's mighty accurate)?

#2 ·
Just in case anyone's interested, I emailed Remington and bugged them to death, and this morning an employee emailed me and said he will send a new trigger housing free of charge. :) I don't know if he really will, but if he does...I'm gonna be really happy. :)

#3 ·
Update (I know no one cares, but what the heck?):

My trigger housing arrived yesterday. I installed it immediately, and then waited until today :( to shoot it. The new assembly works perfectly. :) However, I've discovered that I really need a Volquartsen extractor. I'd suspected it before, but now I know. :(

I'm happy. :)

#4 ·
The way you guys spoke about the 597 made me put down my $210 and buy the ACC-SD. It was perfect and even more fun with a Suppressor.

Well it took it home and cleaned it for the first time. I got some cleaning solvent on the barrel and receiver and the paint peeled off. I now have an zebra 597.

Looks like Remington took some short cuts with it's powder coating or paint.
My new 597 looks terrible. Be careful cleaning it.

I called Remington and the actual knew that I used Hoppes 9. Anyway they will restore it under warranty.
I was told that their coating is a trade secret. They must be having problems.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear about the finish of your 597. I never had a problem with mine besides it scratching when I slid on and off some scope rings that were a bit too tight--but I rarely use Hoppe's #9 (out of laziness). I'm glad to hear that Remington's fixing it for you.

By the way, where'd you get an AAC SD? I didn't know anybody carried them yet.

#6 ·
Marlin, I bought it at 2a sales, Jessup MD. Nice people and easy to work with.

They way Remington treated me was incredible. People on this Board have defended them all through
The 700 trigger thing. They made me feel that I have ruined their product and it was my fault.

In this case they must have know of the faulty coating and instead of recall put the guilt trip on me.

I also have a 700 which I bought in 1973. I had the gun go off without pulling the trigger. Thankfully, I had a snap cap in it. When I called them, they admitted nothing but strongly suggested I return it to them. Repair will cost me $37.00

I think differently now of Remington.

#7 ·
Sorry I'm so late getting back to you. Sounds like Remington has two grades of customer service: mine, where they bend over backwards to help, and yours, where they're basically a pain in the neck.

If refinishing's going to cost you $40 or so, have you considered stripping the rest of the receiver with Hoppes #9 and the Duracoating it? For a small job like the receiver, it shouldn't cost more than $50, and it'll last a heck of a lot longer. Plus, it looks great (at least my uncle's 10/22 that he refinished does).

BTW, when did your 700 go off without you pulling the trigger? If it was recently, it might be because some of the internals are worn--the gun is almost 40 years old. On newer Remingtons this isn't a problem because 700s have used a different trigger mechanism for quite a while.

#8 ·
Thanks. I thought about just stripping it and buying a silver scope for it. Your suggestion of just Duracoat is appreciated.

My 700 has less than 60 rounds through it. In 1973, I bought it on a Wednesday, sighted it on Thursday and got my first Buck on Saturday. After that it had been stored. I never played with the trigger or excessively oiled it. Having recently rediscover the joys of shooting, I was excited to own such a beautiful gun. After a cleaning, I flipped the safety and the gun fired. I didn't think much of it until I read the threads about the problems. I don't distrust the gun but I am more concerned about the uncertainty. Until I have it fixed I will not have confidence with it in the field or on the range.

I'll tell you a funny story. I lived in NYC on the 23rd floor. There was constant construction of large building all around me. Each morning the construction workers would use binoculars to peer into our windows looking for unsuspecting people dressing. One day, my 700 came in handy. Without putting it outside the windows I took aim at the Construction workers. I had no intention of shooting just wanted to see their reaction. Well they scattered. The next day they no longer looked in the windows. I felt that they could not complain since any report of my gun was an admission of Peeping Toms.

I just got the authorization to send the 700 back to Remington, not to a service center but the main factory in NY State. I'll post the results when I get it back.

#9 ·
JoeM said:
I'll tell you a funny story. I lived in NYC on the 23rd floor. There was constant construction of large building all around me. Each morning the construction workers would use binoculars to peer into our windows looking for unsuspecting people dressing. One day, my 700 came in handy. Without putting it outside the windows I took aim at the Construction workers. I had no intention of shooting just wanted to see their reaction. Well they scattered. The next day they no longer looked in the windows. I felt that they could not complain since any report of my gun was an admission of Peeping Toms.
That's really funny... ;D ;D ;D Let me know how what Remington does for you and your 700--everyone's got bad days, not least Remington.

#12 ·
I just got an E-mail from Remington. I sent both my 597 and 700 to them. I was informed that in fact my trigger on the 700 has been changed with the x-trigger. It's funny they stated that the trigger had been altered but they could not make the gun misfire. I know I never altered the trigger and I also know that it misfired once without ammo. So maybe Remmingon has decided to change all triggers and put the blame on us by saying we altered the trigger. It's no their fault. Anyway, I'm happy for $37, I got a new trigger and confidence restored. Still waiting on the 597.

#14 ·
JoeM said:
I'm impressed. I just got my 700 Rem back. The new trigger is incredible. It's smooth and exact. They should have used it in the first place. I think its set at 2 lbs pull. Thanks Remington.
Sweet! I assume it's the (relatively) new X-Mark Pro trigger?

#15 ·
I just got my 597 back from Remington. The coating had come off while cleaning. Remington recoated it and it looks new again. I am afraid to clean it as Hoppes or any other solvent might strip the coating again.

Thanks Remington but cleaning instructions would be helpful.

#16 ·
JoeM said:
Thanks Remington but cleaning instructions would be helpful.
Glad you got it all fixed up, but yeah, instructions on what solvents are safe/not safe would be helpful. It's not so much a problem for me because when I actually do clean my 597 (I wonder if that's why I've been having some FTEs recently ;D ) I only use...err...RemOil. :-X :D I probably should use a real bore cleaner but as I shoot mostly unplated bullets there isn't much copper fouling to get rid of. I'm so lazy I alternate between shooting copper-plated and unplated ammo because I "think" that the copper-plated bullets will remove lead fouling and vice versa. Don't ask where I got that idea, I made it up...have I mentioned I'm really, really, really bad about cleaning guns before? ;D

#17 ·
Something not pretty happened today...hopefully it was the ammo's fault, but it might have been my not cleaning the gun in around 250 rounds (i.e., really fouled chamber)...
http://www.henryfirearms.org/henrybb/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=130
:eek:

EDIT: Today Remington emailed me stating they'll be sending me a mailing label for my gun. So it should be running again in a month or so. I still wonder why people complain about Remington's customer service...I haven't heard back from Federal about the ammo, but maybe they'll send me a lifetime supply of their ultra match ammo. :D

For any Remington employees here: Keep up the great customer service! Coupled with improved quality and you'll be taking more of my money...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.