Question For Any Winchester 70 Experts (Dealing With CRF Or Push Feed)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Question For Any Winchester 70 Experts (Dealing With CRF Or Push Feed)

Can anyone verify for sure if the Model 70 .375 H&H shown below is Controlled Round Feed or Push Feed?

I'm not able to look at the rifle in person, and the person that has the rifle only knows that it was a State of Alaska issue to a member of their Fish & Game Department.

The serial number is G96XXX (only 6 characters). If it was G96XXXX (7 characters) I believe it would be a 1969 model, so the 6 digit number is kind of confusing...

If it is in fact a standard 1969 model it should be a Push Feed, but can anyone verify this one way or the other by just looking at the below pictures?

Thanks in advance...

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Question For Any Winchester 70 Experts (Dealing With CRF Or Push Feed)

That's a controlled round feed bolt in the pictures. You can tell by the big honking extractor on the side of the bolt.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Deadeye
    Member #

The big long extractor that runs along the bolt is a control round feed

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks for the information guys, and it confirms my thoughts that by looking at the pictures it is in fact a 'controlled round feed'...

I'm kind of confused by the G96XXX serial number, as I can't find any reference of a 6-digit number, only the normal 7-digit type.

Maybe the State of Alaska specified that they wanted controlled round feed, even though the serial number is 'almost' the same as a 1969 model year. I don't know.....

Anyway I have the opportunity to purchase this for $1,000. The current owner said the .375 was almost spotless and that he was told less than one box of shells have been shot through the rifle. Doesn't sound like a bad deal, especially being a controlled feed model which I prefer.

Thanks again....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The black extractor and the checkering design on the stock are matches for it to be a mid to late 90's or 2000's model 70 "Classic" controled round feed and maybe even a Safari Express model due to the barrel sling mount. The serial number is a bit strange, I wonder if it could have a different serial number range due to it being a FGD issue gun

I am certain it is a newer gun (made between 1992 & 2006) but it is a controlled round feed and a wonderful gun. I have a 270 Winchester Classic Featherweight and a Classic Sporter in 30-06 and they both great rifles. The later model 70 "Classics" were some of the best rifles Winchester made in close to 50 years IMO.

Festus

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Festus
    The black extractor and the checkering design on the stock are matches for it to be a mid to late 90's or 2000's model 70 "Classic" controled round feed and maybe even a Safari Express model due to the barrel sling mount. The serial number is a bit strange, I wonder if it could have a different serial number range due to it being a FGD issue gun
    Yeah I believe that 'partial serial number' must have something to do with it being a FGD issued gun....

I was out of town today but I did have a message stating that the rifle barrel said "Super Express", and that 'Super Express' was also on the metal magazine cover. I assume the barral probably reads Classic Super Express, but I'll give them a call tomorrow to verify....

I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on this rifle as it appears to be in near mint condition, has controlled feed, and the price is good...

I lived in Alaska for many years but like an idiot sold my old weather beaten Model 70 .375 H&H when I left, and I've been kicking myself ever since....

Not that I really need a .375 here in SE Kansas where I currently live, but you never know when those wild 800+ pound Russian Boars from down south might migrate up this way...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I have found the 375 H&H to be a pretty "fun" round to play with if you reload. It can be loaded down (you must use caution due to the massive case capacity) with SR4759 to 375 Winchester levels. That should be a sweet rifle... Good luck!

Festus

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Festus
    I have found the 375 H&H to be a pretty "fun" round to play with if you reload. It can be loaded down (you must use caution due to the massive case capacity) with SR4759 to 375 Winchester levels. That should be a sweet rifle... Good luck!

Festus
    One of the shorter range reduced power loads I've used for the .375 H&H in the past consists of 41.5 grains of SR4759 behind a 270 bullet for about 2,085 FPS at the muzzle.

Has about 2,550 FPE at the muzzle, 2,010 at 100 yards, and 1,580 at 200 yards.

Sighted in right at 2.0" high at 100 yards it only falls about 5.0" at 200 yards.

Very easy on the shoulder, but it will get the job done on larger game out to 200 yards.

Banned
    Member #

I am no expert, just a lover of model 70 Winchester pre-64 action hunting rifles and I do have a bakers dozen or so to get the job done on most things in the jungle or woods. I agree with Festus, that this pistured rifle is a model 70 Winchester with all (3 postition safety, big claw extractor and controlled round feed magazine) the bells N whistles from the Winchester factory. It is indeed a CRF type, controlled round fed magazine rifle.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Well I ended up going a 'different direction' dealing with my quest for a high quality .375 H&H.

Figured it might be better to go with something that would hold up to the worse possible hunting conditions, and after searching I found an excellent condition M70 Classic Stainless at a very reasonable price.

The rifle arrived today and looks like it has been fired very little. Couldn't find any issues at all. I ran a patch through the bore, checked the action screws and took it out to the 'back 40' to adjust the iron sights to my specific ammunication. Managed to get 50 yard groups of a little over 1" which is very good for my old eyes and iron sights.

I have a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 scope ready to be mounted (once I can figure out the correct Talley bases to install), and it should be a good shooter once everything is set up and dialed in....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links