Question For Any Winchester 70 Experts (Dealing With CRF Or Push Feed) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Question For Any Winchester 70 Experts (Dealing With CRF Or Push Feed)

Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I would recommed the Talley Light Weight Low. With the 32MM scope the low's should work just great. One thing to remember, check both the front and rear mount to make sure they are both Low's, Medium's or High's...

Festus

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Festus
    Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I would recommed the Talley Light Weight Low. With the 32MM scope the low's should work just great. One thing to remember, check both the front and rear mount to make sure they are both Low's, Medium's or High's...

Festus
    Since I have the 'open sights' set to hit POI at 100 yards, and wanted to go with a good detachable mount, so I checked with Talley to get their recommendation.

I also wanted to make sure I got the correct 'screw spacing' for the front and rear mount, as it appears the rear mount has a .330" spacing while the front mount has a .860" spacing. Apparently this is the common setup for the 'post-64' long action magnum. (Picture shown below)..

They recommended the PN 25X701 extended bases (extension on the front mount) and the PN 200003 1" low rings. The rings are detachable, hold their 'zero' when remounted, but use set screws instead of the lever version.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tonk
    I am no expert, just a lover of model 70 Winchester pre-64 action hunting rifles and I do have a bakers dozen or so to get the job done on most things in the jungle or woods. I agree with Festus, that this pistured rifle is a model 70 Winchester with all (3 postition safety, big claw extractor and controlled round feed magazine) the bells N whistles from the Winchester factory. It is indeed a CRF type, controlled round fed magazine rifle.
    does that make it a pre 64? that was the criteria of the pre 64, im humbly asking what i missed?
    ak's & chevrolets. certified new york redneck, you can find me in the woods, on the water, at work or dead.
    team30-30 #59
    team X #21

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by luvalever
    does that make it a pre 64? that was the criteria of the pre 64, im humbly asking what i missed?
    No, they started offering the CRF again in 1992 until 2006 then they moved production to SC. I think sometime in 2008 or early 2009 they resumed production and you can now again buy a new CRF. There's manufacturing differences in the newer models that make them less expensive to manufacture but they are top notch rifles non the less. I have a couple of the late 90's rifles that are CRF and IMO they are one of the best bolt rifles ever produced. Both are extremly accurate and smooth as butter.

Festus

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

im sure they are nice and thanx for clearin that up for me. i wasnt up to date on the winchester 70's re-runs
    ak's & chevrolets. certified new york redneck, you can find me in the woods, on the water, at work or dead.
    team30-30 #59
    team X #21

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The big non rotating extractor is a sign of a CRF Mod. 70 and the older Winchesters had what I consider the best hunting trigger design ever made, ditto for the 3 position safety. The bolt is easily field stripped with out tools. Some of the magazine followers were stamped instead of spring steel and the bolt handle is not one piece and the collar is pressed onto the bolt. I have read about a couple that came loose. I also believe Winchesters .375 always came with to big of a barrel. The .375 Ruger has a better diameter in my opinion. I tricked a .375 "Classic Stainless" out and gave it to my son-in-law.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links