I'm Building A New Bear Gun
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: I'm Building A New Bear Gun

Deadeye
    Member #

I'm Building A New Bear Gun

A little history first. I'm 74 and have been hunting since 1952. Mostly for elk, mule deer, and black bear. Until now i've used a 30-30 or a flintlock muzzleloader. They worked fine, but I have had a lot of close calls when hunting for bears. My style of hunting is either still hunting or spot and stalk. Sometimes i'll call them in. All the methods mean close face to face encounters. I can't count the times i've been bluff charged or flat out charged after a shot. I've gotten too old to fight a bear off with a bowie knife. That prospect use to excite me. It still does, but I don't feel I have much of a chance for success at my age. Although I still carry the bowie.

So, back to the gun. I want to build a gun dedicated to bear hunting. In my area a 550lb bear was killed not too long ago, so the chance of a good bear is always possible. I want a gun that's short, light, and has plenty of knock down power. I decided on the Ruger American Predator in .308. It only weighs 6.2 lbs and has an 18" barrel. The barrel is threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake. I plan on putting a Vais brake on it.

I thought about what sights to use a lot. I've tried regular open sights, peep sights, and a low power scope. For a quick accusation in dark thick timber where bears hang out I feel the low power scope is the best by far. Especially, at dusk and dawn. I'll use a 1.5x4.5 scope and leave it on 1.5X for bear hunting.

The stock is low for a scope which is puzzling since it's not drilled for iron sights. I like to use the BearTooth comb raiser. It not only raises the comb to a perfect position, but softens felt recoil on the cheek.

https://www.amazon.com/Beartooth-Com...mb+raising+kit

The gun comes with a really nice recoil pad and along with the comb raiser and muzzle brake the gun should be comfortable to shoot with 180gr Partitions. Even at the light weight of 7lbs with a scope. I think it's going to be so pleasant to shoot that I may want to use it for elk and deer too. Well see.

So, what do you all think?

Here's the gun. Scroll down to read the features.

Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6974
    Team 30-30 #1
    Team Old Phart #353

You have reached the pinnacle of success when you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    308 is a great round, and ruger always makes good stuff. I am partial to the 45-70 in bear country with hard cast 405 gr. bullets.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Deadeye
    Member #
    I thought of the 45/70 for a long time. In the end I decided this will work better for me. I've become a bit recoil shy at my older age.
    Team 30-30 #1
    Team Old Phart #353

You have reached the pinnacle of success when you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Living in true bear country here, I'm surprised at your choice. The .,308 is certainly a great round, but a marginal increase over a .30-30. If you're looking at that round, I'd step up to something that makes larger holes, either one of the .338 Federal/.338 Marlin, or .375 Ruger. But truly, you could also go to .375 Winchester and shoot Buffalo Bores .38/55 Heavy load and you'd find that the recoil is not that much more than a .308. The straight-walled cartridges "shove" you more than smack you like a bottlenecked cartridge. They also make reduced recoil .45/70 loads for a true stopper.
    NRA - Life; NAHC - Life; Retired USN
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ...... glory, lasts forever!
    Team 30-30 #960...........Team Model 60 #251.........Team 35 #598 ............. Team 375 #68 .........Team 45-70 #1658

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If you are worried about recoil in a Bear gun, may I suggest the Karl Gustav recoilless rifle...

Recoiless.jpg

And if age is catching up with the hike - you can mount one on your ATV or pick up:

M18A1_recoilless.jpg

Great for Moose, Elk or Big Bear!

But that Ruger American in .308 is also a good choice, if you want to give the bear half a chance. haha
    Owen49, mrguvna, locoman and 10 others like this.

Team 30-30 #839
    Team Semi-Auto #48

Reading for Comprehension instead of Confrontation leads to much better on-line Conversation - Tar_Heel 336

Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing that you shouldn't include it in a Fruit Salad - unknown

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"... Albert Einstein

"yup, but I was on a rant..." - 49FMarlin

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Nice rifle! I never really thought about the 308 for bear....mostly because of the spitzer style bullets that it normally shoots. What weight bullet are you considering? when I hunt black bear it is normally with either a 45-70, or a 35Remington....if you are recoil sensitive the 35 is to me a much better choice than the 308 but if you use a 200+grain bullet and can find one with a larger meplat, you should do fine! When hunting bear i like the WIDEST bullet I can get for whatever caliber I am using!
    sindbad and ballistics04 like this.
    Team - 444 Club Member #535
    Team - 450 Club Member # 128
    Team - 1894 Club Member #298 CB Ltd 45LC, CB Ltd 44mag X2, 1894P, Talo 45LC, 1894 Ltd CB 357Mag
    Team - 336 Club Member #474 Marlin 336CB 30-30, CB 38-55, 30-30 SRC, custom Marauder
    Team - 336-44 Club Member #16
    Team - 45-70 Club Member #1056 - 1895CB, ABL, GBL, SBL
    Team- 308MX
    Marlin League - Member # 153
    Team - 44-40 Club Member #32
    Marlin 39D .22
    Wheel Gun - Member #48
    Team - 375 Club Member #92 Marlin custom Maruader
    Marlin .410

Deadeye
    Member #
    I picked the 308 because I know from experience it will kill a bear easily. I'll use 180gr Partition which I have a lot of faith in. Keep in mind I have in the back of my mind to also use this for deer and elk. At 50yds it has 2800 fpe. Not enough for bear?

I also wanted a light gun. No way to make a 45/70 as light as this gun with a scope. No way to make it as recoil friendly either with the same power.

'sI've shot plenty of bears with a 30-30. It marginal at best for a ground hunter. I want a caliber that has a chance of a DRT.
    Team 30-30 #1
    Team Old Phart #353

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    Nice rifle! I never really thought about the 308 for bear....mostly because of the spitzer style bullets that it normally shoots. What weight bullet are you considering? when I hunt black bear it is normally with either a 45-70, or a 35Remington....if you are recoil sensitive the 35 is to me a much better choice than the 308 but if you use a 200+grain bullet and can find one with a larger meplat, you should do fine! When hunting bear i like the WIDEST bullet I can get for whatever caliber I am using!
    A wide meplat is needed with low fps calibers. The 308 kills by hydrostatic shock and will also bust through bones with the right bullet like the Partition.
    Team 30-30 #1
    Team Old Phart #353

Deadeye
    Member #
    Here's a good read.

Black Bear Cartridges
    ballistics04 likes this.
    Team 30-30 #1
    Team Old Phart #353

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If you want a light 45-70 Ruger #1 is a fine example. I would imagine you could load the rounds to about 1100 fps and not get much recoil, the gun is light and swings nicely, but only have one shot..........................308 is a wicked round and would also need a good shot to be drt. also recoil in a 308 is not light by any stretch especially in a light short rifle. If light recoil and light rifle is the main concern might be best to look at the 35 rem as mentioned. Many different rifles in that caliber.

The last bear my buddy shot was a direct heart shot with a 45-70 and the bear ran another 100 yds without a heart and no blood trail, dangdest thing. guess there is no "Best" caliber for bear hunting good shots or not. I say go for it, get what you desire and learn to shoot it well and let the bears fall where they may......................
    ballistics04 likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links