I'm Building A New Bear Gun - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: I'm Building A New Bear Gun

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The 308 should be plenty for black bear, you said you have already purchased the Ruger American...the one thing I dislike about the ruger american is the bolt opening, if you are scrounging trying to get a cartridge in single load style the small area to load from the top single feed style if crap hits the fan is not ideal in my opinion. Most of the newer redesigned actions are going this route vs the older wide open bolt port. It's just a small detail, and not a knock against your choice I just prefer the older style actions with top single load access. It's nice to have all the choices we have in choosing a firearm, action, cartridge etc.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
    Will do if the .308 doesn't bounce off the game.
    Ya, mention BEAR on this forum, or pretty much any hunting forum, and people get all excited! That's cool.

I LIKE your cartridge selection! Haven't tried that Ruger, but Ruger tends to build a good rifle. My son and I have taken several bear. He always uses his .30-06, with a 165 grain Nosler Partition at 2750 fps, which is very similar to the .308 Win. I took mine in 2016 with a .30-06 and a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2900 fps, and it worked fine. One shot, one bear. Am convinced that a hunter of your experience, will do just fine. I like the idea of the Nosler Partition BTW. Have been using those for several decades, and they just work!

I'd use a .308 with good bullets in a heartbeat!

I'm using a 1.5-5x Leupold scope on my bear rifle these days. I've used it on a 320 yard bear and on a 10 - 15 foot distance bear... Worked great on both situations.

Please update us with photos of the rifle and of your next hunt!

Regards, Guy

Gunfighter
    Member #
    A good .308 round if you reload is open your .308 chamber to a 30/284. Feeds through the short action and runs right there with the 30/06. Some loads actually exceed the good old '06. My uncle and my cousin have taken a lot of game with the 30/284 with great results on dropping game on the spot. I don't have one as I never got into the 30 caliber much. When I went over 7MM it was on up to the 35 caliber and the 350 Magnum. Personally now if bear was on my agenda and was going to use what I already have I would just take the 444 Marlin and never think twice. 265 Hornady. No gummy tips. Just lead on the front for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    If I was buying a new American rifle for bear I would have a hard time passing up the ranch rifle version in 450 bushmaster. They have been selling like hotcakes in Michigan since October with one local dealer having sold over 3000 rifles since he got his first shipment of them late October.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Choices are just that..........you`ll have to rely on it for sure. Like some I`d have gone a different route. Choices and experience combined would lead me to a larger cal. Nothing wrong with yours though. Just not my cup of tea.
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My 120 pound daughter shoots a .308. Her hat usually comes off, but I never heard her complain about her shoulder. Maybe because the stock is a little shorter and fits her better than some of the other rifles.

Best,
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

MPB
    Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
    How well I know. My dad got me a 30-30 from Christmas when I was 10 years old. I've been killing bear, elk and muleys ever since. I just want to try something different.

We all need some sort of an excuse to buy a new gun. This is all I could come up with.
    Don't forget the "I won it in a raffle" excuse. Another member posted this excuse a while ago and I decided to keep this one in mind.
    By the way. I bought my first Marlin 336 30-30 in 1963. An early 50's waffle top. That rifle with factory sights was more than adequate for whitetails and black bear for about 40 years until I got the 45-70 bug.
    Last edited by MPB; 02-01-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The .308 Win. is a good round. But it's not the one I would choose. There's killin' and there's stoppin'. They ain't the same. In most instances, even lighter rounds would work fine.

If they're charging, I would want a larger bore and heavier bullet. The only bears I've had drop at the shot were hit with 250 grain Swift A Frames from my .338 Remington Ultra Mag. I've killed bears with hot 45-70s with good success and my favorite for black bears is one of my 376 Steyrs using 270 grain projectiles.

I think the suggestion of investigating the 338 Federal is excellent. Good knockdown, range and relatively modest recoil.

Here's a good read. .338 Federal - Ron Spomer Outdoors

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    W.D.M Bell, The great African hunter, who killed more elephants than any man alive, or any man will ever kill, was still alive when Winchester brought out the .308WCF. He dubbed the round a perfect cartridge for Elephants. I will bow to his wisdom, experience, and judgement and proclaim it more than enough for black bear.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    TS, while I agree that the .308 will kill bears, if I go, I will put the 9.3x62 barrel on the Blaser. I don't want to take the chance of having to trail game even for a short way. Mine not stopped in their tracks tend to get into nasty places, be it in the middle of a prickly pear patch, or the bottom of a gulley.

Best,,
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links