I'm Building A New Bear Gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: I'm Building A New Bear Gun

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Against some of the 'black bear' experience here, my opinion don't amount to poop, and I know it. ......Be nice! But, I was think'n (always risky) an older (steal receiver) BLR in 358win. 220's 225's. Short, light and fast. Own two. Love mine though I admit the lever mechanism is a bit spooky. Never a failure in over 35 years. Thought to get one in 308 also but the idea was to have a dedicated 'timber' rifle that could reach out some if needed.
    John
    ballistics04 likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    i strongly disagree with the poster who said the ".308 is only a marginal improvement over the .30-30". I've used them both and the .308 is a big step up.
    Marlin 336A .30-30
    Marlin 336Y .30-30
    Marlin model 60 .22
    Marlin XT-22MTW .22 mag

Wrangler
    Member #
    The Remington 600 in .308 would be about ideal for bear but that Ruger American Predator would be right there in the conversation too and for a lot less money.
    Marlin 336A .30-30
    Marlin 336Y .30-30
    Marlin model 60 .22
    Marlin XT-22MTW .22 mag

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post

I thought about what sights to use a lot. I've tried regular open sights, peep sights, and a low power scope. For a quick accusation in dark thick timber where bears hang out I feel the low power scope is the best by far. Especially, at dusk and dawn. I'll use a 1.5x4.5 scope and leave it on 1.5X for bear hunting.
    What brand/model scope were you thinking? I use a 1-4x24 Trijicon on my close - medium range .308 setup, it's awesome for low light and it has an illuminated quick reflex reticle that doesn't require batteries. The reticle comes in three colors, red, green, and yellow and is always "on". This picture below was taken from my scope.

IMG_1589.JPG
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I picked the 308 because I know from experience it will kill a bear easily. I'll use 180gr Partition which I have a lot of faith in. Keep in mind I have in the back of my mind to also use this for deer and elk. At 50yds it has 2800 fpe. Not enough for bear?

I also wanted a light gun. No way to make a 45/70 as light as this gun with a scope. No way to make it as recoil friendly either with the same power.

'sI've shot plenty of bears with a 30-30. It marginal at best for a ground hunter. I want a caliber that has a chance of a DRT.
    Well, I'm not downplaying the .308 at all....I have a few rifles in that caliber and it is a great round....I've experimented using gas checked heavier cast bullets(at up to 2000fps) and heavier bullets in general. I just always figured that the bigger the wound channel the better!! That and the fact where I hunt is usually in wooded ravines. I never did ask at what ranges you'd be shooting at! Only thing I'd recommend is that you get a firedot scope since you hunt at dusk and dawn (so do I) i have Leupold 1.25-4 VX-R on my bear rifle, what sold me on the Leupold was the ability to "turn down the light intensity" of the red dot down to the point you can barely see it....which I like when the light is low and I'm looking into the woods or into shade.
    Last edited by mazer; 01-03-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Team - 444 Club Member #535
    Team - 450 Club Member # 128
    Team - 1894 Club Member #298 CB Ltd 45LC, CB Ltd 44mag, 1894P, Talo 45LC, 1894 Ltd CB 357Mag
    Team - 336 Club Member #474 Marlin 336CB 30-30, CB 38-55, 30-30 SRC
    Team - 336-44 Club Member #16
    Team - 45-70 Club Member #1056 - 1895CB, ABL
    Team- 308MX
    Marlin League - Member # 153
    Team - 44-40 Club Member #32 - Uberti 1860 Henry
    Marlin 39A .22
    Wheel Gun - Member #48
    Team - 375 Club Member #92 Marlin custom Maruader
    Marlin .410

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Hey Kendawg, thanks much for the pic. 63 and I am having to re-think my site/scope requirements. That Trijicon set up has my attention. Have you got a lot of field time with it? Been kicked around some?
    John
    Last edited by JMAG54; 01-03-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JMAG54 View Post
    Hey Kendawg, thanks much for the pic. 63 and I am having to re-access my site/scope requirements. That Trijicon set up has my attention. Have you got a lot of field time with it? Been kicked around some?
    John
    Hi John,
    I've had this scope for 4 years and it is rock solid and has bright optics. It gathers light for the reticle through fiber optics, there is a cover that rotates over the fiber optics to adjust for reticle brightness and at no ambient light the reticle is powered by tritium.
    I added an after market lever to make it easier to adjust the magnification as indicated by the arrow in the picture. I have two Leupold's and this is almost as nice.

IMG_0206_Ink_LI.jpg
    JMAG54 and Tar_Heel 336 like this.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73

Deadeye
    Member #
    I want one of those, where can I get my own personal recoilless rifle.We are getting some pretty big deer around here and also feral hogs.-Locoman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Heel 336 View Post
    If you are worried about recoil in a Bear gun, may I suggest the Karl Gustav recoilless rifle...

Recoiless.jpg

And if age is catching up with the hike - you can mount one on your ATV or pick up:

M18A1_recoilless.jpg

Great for Moose, Elk or Big Bear!

But that Ruger American in .308 is also a good choice, if you want to give the bear half a chance. haha
    Tar_Heel 336 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks Kendawg. I'll be looking at these.
    John
    Kendawg likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    A little history first. I'm 74 and have been hunting since 1952. Mostly for elk, mule deer, and black bear. Until now i've used a 30-30 or a flintlock muzzleloader. They worked fine, but I have had a lot of close calls when hunting for bears. My style of hunting is either still hunting or spot and stalk. Sometimes i'll call them in. All the methods mean close face to face encounters. I can't count the times i've been bluff charged or flat out charged after a shot. I've gotten too old to fight a bear off with a bowie knife. That prospect use to excite me. It still does, but I don't feel I have much of a chance for success at my age. Although I still carry the bowie.

So, back to the gun. I want to build a gun dedicated to bear hunting. In my area a 550lb bear was killed not too long ago, so the chance of a good bear is always possible. I want a gun that's short, light, and has plenty of knock down power. I decided on the Ruger American Predator in .308. It only weighs 6.2 lbs and has an 18" barrel. The barrel is threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake. I plan on putting a Vais brake on it.

I thought about what sights to use a lot. I've tried regular open sights, peep sights, and a low power scope. For a quick accusation in dark thick timber where bears hang out I feel the low power scope is the best by far. Especially, at dusk and dawn. I'll use a 1.5x4.5 scope and leave it on 1.5X for bear hunting.

The stock is low for a scope which is puzzling since it's not drilled for iron sights. I like to use the BearTooth comb raiser. It not only raises the comb to a perfect position, but softens felt recoil on the cheek.

https://www.amazon.com/Beartooth-Com...mb+raising+kit

The gun comes with a really nice recoil pad and along with the comb raiser and muzzle brake the gun should be comfortable to shoot with 180gr Partitions. Even at the light weight of 7lbs with a scope. I think it's going to be so pleasant to shoot that I may want to use it for elk and deer too. Well see.

So, what do you all think?

Here's the gun. Scroll down to read the features.

Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6974
    30-30 has killed more black bear than all the magnums combined. And, If you want to make extra sure, Buffalo Bore sells a Heavy 30-30 190grn. load that will penetrate the length of a black bear. .308WCF is also an excellent choice, perhaps a bit of overkill compared to the 30-30. Good choices. Luck with your quest and good hunting!
    ballistics04 likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links