Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Best way to deal with light surface rust or swallow pitting on blued rifle?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  4T57T 
#1 ·
I just purchased a barely used 1894C (JM stamped, 2009 production). The bore is pristine but there is some light surface rust ( it is hard to even call it pitting) on the lever and a small amount on the barrel just ahead of the barrel band and also on the barrel band. Probably from sweaty hands and failure to wipe off the exterior before putting it away. It is not enough to even consider refinishing I would just like to remove the rust and maybe touch-up blue. What is the best way to go about this?

#2 ·
Triple-0 or 4-0 steel wool will usually do good and not "Over-Remove" material. Cold blue; I like Oxpho Blue from Brownells. But I use Birchwood Casey Super Blue also because it's easy to get.
I think the key to reblue with cold blue is to keep it heavily oiled afterward for the next week. That helps wick whatever moisture there is left in the metal from the bluing process away and helps stop the re-rusting that often occurs after cold bluing. If some re-rust occurs, wool it away and get the oil back on. After that, just keep it protected and wiped down.
This is my usual process.

#3 ·
0000 steel wool saturated with a good gunoil ( I prefer Kroil for this purpose) will easily remove light surface rust without damage to the remaining bluing. If you have some larger of especially tough spots of rust, allow the oil to soak a bit then gently scrape the rust away with the edge of a true copper penny.

You might be surprised to find there may be no need to cold blue afterwards.

Roe

#5 ·
I bought a rust repair kit from Blue Wonder a few years back for a .22 that had been the victim of an A/C condensation leak. Followed the package directions and it worked just great. I'd use it again if I had the need.

Reactions: GaCop
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.