+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hand De-Priming Tool

Tinhorn
    Member #

Hand De-Priming Tool

Hello all,

I have studying my rear end off learning everything I will need to begin reloading and have been putting together a list of "required" items. While putting said list together, I realized that when using the Dillon 550 progressive press that I will get, there is no way to clean the primer pockets and flash holes without pulling the brass from the press after de-priming. After thinking about it for a while I came to the realization that I would much rather just de-prime, clean/polish, and THEN put the brass in the press for the rest of the operation. After looking around the net for a while, I can't seem to find the one holy grail hand de-primer.

Is this just a case of all hand de-primers being basically the same quality, with no clear winner?

Any advice you all can offer would be most appreciated!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
    Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
    It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

--Marion Robert Morrison

Wrangler
    Member #
    Why not just get a single stage press? I am using a Lee Single Stage myself, and although I am pretty sure I will eventually graduate to a turrent, right now to me at least, its great for what you want. Just de-prime, pop it out, clean them,and then toss them into your progressive. Just an idea.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I don't know if its the holy grail or not, but I've used a Lee hand press and a universal decapping die for everything from .357 Magnum to crimped 30-06 (milsurp stuff). Another option is to get a cheap single stage press (like the Lee reloader press) and a universal decapper if you don't want to juggle the press along with the brass and spent primers. Both methods have worked for me.
    Team .32 Special member #11 - For us "special" folks =)
    Team .35 member #177 - I made the team!!
    Team 30-30 member #67 - 115 years and still going strong!

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. - Eccl 1:9 (KJV)

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Why not just get a single stage press? I am using a Lee Single Stage myself, and although I am pretty sure I will eventually graduate to a turrent, right now to me at least, its great for what you want. Just de-prime, pop it out, clean them,and then toss them into your progressive. Just an idea.
    Who makes the best for the money 45-70 progressive reloader

Wrangler
    Member #
    rifle cases must be lubed when sizing, which is ordinarily not part of a progressive process.

first you lube and resize, then you remove the lube. then you can finish progressively. so clean the primer pockets after removing the lube, before the progressive part.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #
    Whether you settle on a hand press or a simple bench-mounted single-stage doesn't matter, as long as it works for you. I'm a turret-press guy myself, but I load in batches, and you can do the same for a Dillon. Deprime all your brass, then use whatever tool you like to clean the primer pockets. I've tried a bunch, and finally decided my Dremel with a scraper tool is the fastest way to clean them by hand. I also have an RCBS case prep machine with five revolving heads, but the Dremel is actually faster and does a far better job.

Hand presses are okay, but I think a single-stage press on a clamp-on mount would be a better idea.......meaning faster.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Tinhorn
    Member #
    So I hadn't even considered that a single stage press with a universal decapping die would be less expensive AND MORE VERSATILE than a separate tool, thank you SO much for the heads up folks!

One question I have for those of you using the "Lee Precision Reloader Single Stage Press" though. While looking for the decapping die I came across this little problem: I can't tell the difference in these items

7-90292 - Lee Precision Universal Depriming and Decapping Die for $10.03
    6-0810465 - Lee Precision Universal Depriming and Decapping Die for $10.78
    40424 - Universal Depriming and Decapping Die for $10.70

After looking around on Lee's website it appeared as though I found the answer:
    Decapping Die - Lee Precision with an SKU of 90292...until I noticed that all the items from Cheaperthandirt.com had that number listed in the manufacturer label.

What gives!?!?!

Thanks in advance....again, guys!
    Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.

--Marion Robert Morrison

Sidewinder
    Member #
    What caliber and what will the ammo be used for? This will dictate if you need to clean the primer pockets or not.

Personally, I have slowed down my handloading operation and mainly load in batches on a singlestage press, now that I have retired from the Navy and have way more time than money. I don't worry about cleaning primer pockets for smokless powder loads, and if it is a BP round the case gets deprimed and washed with soap and water.

Robert

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Well, my initial plan is to reload .45ACP that as I understand it would make the primer pocket cleaning a waste of time, however, I plan to reload 45-70 as well...once I've scoured the corners of the earth for that elusive Marlin 1895 LTD-IV.

--Marion Robert Morrison

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #
    Well, if you really wanted to go the cheapest route on 45ACP cases, you could use a slender nail and a hammer to deprime cases, the Universal decapping dies just allow you to do it on a press of whatever variety. Personally, I think it's easier to deprime and resize at the same time, which is what all standard sizing dies do anyway.

I don't worry about cleaning primer pockets on pistol brass unless I need it to be perfect. For most of my shooting, run-of-the-mill ammo does just fine.
    JBledsoe likes this.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links