+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hand De-Priming Tool

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
    I don't worry about cleaning primer pockets on pistol brass unless I need it to be perfect.
    That's what I was thinking as well. But for that 45-70 stuff I "think" I really should clean the primer pockets. I am mostly concerned about primers not seating properly if the pockets aren't cleaned, and then having to deal with trying to figure out how to get an unspent primer out of a case. Would you normally just junk the round if that happens?
    msharley likes this.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
    Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
    It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

--Marion Robert Morrison

Gunfighter
    Member #

My first .45-70 reloading tools. A nail to punch out primers, hinge to seat primers, scoup for powder, and cork wads to hold in the charge of BP in the case. I seated the wad about 3/8 inch in the case and dropped the bullet on top. They would hold together long enough to single load in a trapdoor Springfield rifle.

Find a long nail, file or grind the point down until the tip is small enough to go through the flash hole. Heat the end cherry red and plunge it in water or oil to harden it.
    Set the case over a block of wood with a hole for the spent primers, insert the punch in the flash hole and tap with a hammer.
    M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the bears? View Post
    Who makes the best for the money 45-70 progressive reloader
    Hey Bears,

The Dillon 550B is hands down the most versatile, user friendly progressive press made. Coupled with the No BS Guarantee, can't be beat.

Hey Diablo,

For 30-06 and 22-250, I use two toolheads. One for sizing/de capping and trimming. Have Dillon power trimmer on station #3.

I uniform primer pockets and flash holes on all rifle brass. With 45/70, (have C&H TiN coated sizing die) I just withdraw case, after sizing/de capping. Uniforming primer pockets/flash holes only needs done once.

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo0813 View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well. But for that 45-70 stuff I "think" I really should clean the primer pockets. I am mostly concerned about primers not seating properly if the pockets aren't cleaned, and then having to deal with trying to figure out how to get an unspent primer out of a case. Would you normally just junk the round if that happens?
    Hey Diablo,

Wearing safety glasses, just de cap primer normally. Gentle pressure will "unseat" primer. Have yet to "detonate" one. (Have detonated a few "seating" them)

One should always wear safety glasses when reloading, any how.

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links