Marlin Firearms Forum banner

45-70 First run reloading...please advise

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  thegoochie 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to get all the things I need to reload my first batcch of brass and I am hoping I can run this by you folks to make sure I am as prepared as can be.

I have read ABC's of reloading and Lyman's 48th edition, reviewed the Speer book and the Hogdon Chart.
I have the Lee classic loader with the apropriate hammer
I have a scale, cutter, chamfer, deburring tool, powder trickler, lube and pad, caliper and primer pocket cleaner.

I am about to order materials. I plan to reload for use at the range for the moment until I become proficient with it and then move to more precise hunting loads in time for the season. The materials I plan to get are:

Winchester Large Rifle primers #8-1/2
Hogdon H4895 smokeless (loading 56grains)
Hornady 45caliber (458) interlock 300 grain

I am reusing the brass from Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain cartridges.

Any and all feedback would be very much appreciated since this is truly my first run at reloading.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I have not actually. I should have included that question regarding the brass. I understand that hornday brass is shorter so I am guessing I may have to consider different brass possibly if the hornday shells are too short. I was actually aware of that and failed to mention it.

#5 ·
Can new, high quality .45-70 brass be bought at Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc., or are on-line sources much more economical? Can brass be bought in quantities like 500? Can you tell I've never bought anything except factory loads? I'm just tryin' to hook onto goochie's tail to pick up some info? Is brass plentiful?

#6 ·
Can new, high quality .45-70 brass be bought at Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc., or are on-line sources much more economical? Can brass be bought in quantities like 500? Can you tell I've never bought anything except factory loads? I'm just tryin' to hook onto goochie's tail to pick up some info? Is brass plentiful?
I just bought 300 pcs of 45/70 Starline brass at MidwayUSA so the answer is yes you can.

#11 ·
bigjeepman I can get Star line $22 for 50 pc here in Oregon :)

SwampDude Less your a bench man, 500 pc will last you a eternity :dontknow: Don't know if I have bought (bad brass) now some ain't got the life span and some may give you a edge from the bench.

thegoochie :top: you must be a book worm :biggrin:

Hornady Leverevolution Brass... I still ain't loaded mine, and ain't got it in my thick head how the (Lee crimp die) will work out :hmmmm: I may never, because I have plenty other brass of the correct length. Stay to COL spec. work yer load up :biggrin: we will be waiting for the report.

#14 ·
:ahhhhh: papajohn that's abused stuff there.

#15 ·
I did a lot of testing and different loads and I settled on Ranch Dog's .460-425 grain and 40 grains of Reloader 7. It was a bit of a thumper but VERY accurate... I was using straight wheel weights, air cooled... Also I just seem to like lead better than jacketed... Good luck!

Jim

#16 ·

Nothing economical at Bass Pros box stores. All of thier reloading supplies are higher than what you can order them for. Sure, there's no shippping; but I'm cheap. I just wait until I need a few things and order them online.

#18 · (Edited)
Price comparison 45/70 brass ...

My order from MidwayUSA ... 300 pcs Starline brass ($43.49/100) + shipping ($15.33) - $10.00 coupon = $135.80 to my door (0.45 ea)

Direct from Starline ... 250 pcs Starline ($110.50 + free shipping) = $110.50 to my door (0.44 ea) on backorder 'till 5/31/12

Bass Pro Shops ... Remington 50 pcs ($40.99) = $0.82 ea (free shipping until Sunday for orders over $75.00)

Natchez ... Remington 50 pcs ($36.99) ... Winchester 50 pcs ($39.23) Note: not familiar with Natchez shipping charges

I use Win and some Rem brass (.35 Rem) and have had the same experience as PJ's pictures. I have thrown out a few pcs from time to time but most could be resized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.