+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 45/70 brass prices ...

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #

45/70 brass prices ...

We all have our favorite brass and everyone has an opinion on which brass is better. Since I started reloading years ago, I have followed the Starline for pistol calibers, Winchester for my bolt rifles, and Remington for my .35 Rem Marlins (it is all I could ever find.) I have had positive experiences with all and no real complaints about any of the three. I inspect my brass carefully and toss out any questionable piece without hesitation.

I recently started loading for my 1895GS so I asked some reloaders what they suggested for this "big dog" of a round. I weighed in the replies and went with a bag of Winchester brass to start out with and would shop for more as needed. I was searching Midway USA last week and came upon their Starline prices of $43.49 per hundred. Cabela's site doesn't list 45/70 Starline brass for an apple to apple comparison but they I checked their Winchester brass price ... $39.99 per fifty. Here are the links to both ...

Reloading Brass 45-70 Government

Cabela's: WinchesterŽ Unprimed Rifle Brass - Per 50

Now ... if my math skills still serve me correctly, that makes Winchester at Cabela's about 84% higher than Starline at Midway USA. Now let's don't get into a p****** contest about where to buy brass, shipping prices, and whatever else that comes to mind. I would like to know why the huge price difference. I don't buy many things from Cabela's even though there is a store about 20 miles away unless there happens to be a sale going on while I am there. Since I am home alone on this rainy day and I have laundry, some reloading, and a few rifles to clean, I really just needed to post something today .

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Delving kinda' deep on laundry day huh ? I've recently been acquiring reloading equipment and supplies to get started reloading and have had some of the same type of questions. Brass should be brass--caliber to caliber ---right ? You would think with all the specs. out for each individual caliber that the brass should be identical regardless of Mfg.. Yet--some is thinner--some is longer------why?

Wish I was more help-------Starline from Starline is where I would go first to compare-------YMMV.

Steve
    bigjeepman likes this.
    " Knowledge Not Shared Is Energy Wasted"

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Why do people pay extra for a premium or name brand product? The marketers convence us there is extra "value" in their brand.
    Just be glad Lapua dosen't make .45-70 brass.

Even within one caliber, there are manufacturing differences that can effect cost. One maker's brand is near max length, anothers is shorter. One may anneal their brass or not. One may polish off the annealing marks others may leave them. One may have fewer defects.

Sometimes I have to take what I can find for some calibers I shoot. I do shop several sources, if I can, factoring in price, shipping, taxes,etc before buying.

If I go to Cabela's or my local dealer, the brass comes in factory sealed bags. ( Fourty years ago empty brass came in a nice cardboard cartridge box that you could store your loaded ammo in. )
    Lately I have bought Remington .32-20 and .300 Blackout brass from Midway that came in small white boxes with a plain printed Midway label. I suspect Midway is buying large lots of brass and repackaging it into smaller boxes for sale. If you buy large lots of brass, the maker is going to sharpen their pencil and give you a very good deal.
    It has been very good brass- very uniform length, no dents or out of round necks.
    M.
    bigjeepman likes this.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Any brass I've bought so far was bulk from Starline. I think a lot of Midway's "white box" brass may be Starline because they are only 40-50 miles apart but I won't swear to that.

My starter brass has always been from my factory ammo before I started reloading.

I would like to buy Starline 30-30 brass but haven't seen it listed on their website. I have another 30-30 now but am still using fired factory ammo brass so far.

Jeff
    bigjeepman likes this.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."
    Willard Duncan Vandiver

"There you go thinking like a Republican again." Harley Sullivan/The Cheyenne Social Club

"Quick, send in the clowns. Don't bother, they're here." Stephen Sondheim

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BFPGW View Post
    Any brass I've bought so far was bulk from Starline. I think a lot of Midway's "white box" brass may be Starline because they are only 40-50 miles apart but I won't swear to that.
    Jeff
    The brass was properly described by Midway as Remington brass. It was and is 'Rem' headstamped brass made by Remington.
    Midway also sells Starline in the calibers that are available.
    M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thats a pretty good price for Starline for 100 at .43 per case but if you want to buy bulk 1000 at starlinebrass.com is 360.00 thats .36 per case
    I got the 500 and should have ordered the 1000

Doc
    "It Appears As Though My Hypocrisy Knows no bounds"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    What ever I find at gun shows, I have it all.
    My stash away ammo is all new Starline brass, they are strong, the the loads are hot
    Company
    Always on the run, Destiny is the rising sun
    I was born six gun in my hand
    Behind a gun, I'll make my final stand

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #
    I have one rule regarding brass purchases...........if Starline makes it, I buy it from them. Price is a distant second consideration, but buying in bulk from Starline is usually cheaper anyway. I'm saving my shekels for a 500-piece lot of 45/70 brass from Starline, so I can cast up a big batch of boolits, load them all the same way, and learn to shoot that rifle like it's the only one I own.
    Doc Holliday and ia1727 like this.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 80hp View Post
    Why do people pay extra for a premium or name brand product? The marketers convence us there is extra "value" in their brand.
    Just be glad Lapua dosen't make .45-70 brass.

Even within one caliber, there are manufacturing differences that can effect cost. One maker's brand is near max length, anothers is shorter. One may anneal their brass or not. One may polish off the annealing marks others may leave them. One may have fewer defects.

Sometimes I have to take what I can find for some calibers I shoot. I do shop several sources, if I can, factoring in price, shipping, taxes,etc before buying.

If I go to Cabela's or my local dealer, the brass comes in factory sealed bags. ( Fourty years ago empty brass came in a nice cardboard cartridge box that you could store your loaded ammo in. )
    Lately I have bought Remington .32-20 and .300 Blackout brass from Midway that came in small white boxes with a plain printed Midway label. I suspect Midway is buying large lots of brass and repackaging it into smaller boxes for sale. If you buy large lots of brass, the maker is going to sharpen their pencil and give you a very good deal.
    It has been very good brass- very uniform length, no dents or out of round necks.
    M.
    Oddly enough Lapua in Oz is the cheapest brass around (that is if you buy from the right outlets) I only wish I could get 45-70 from Lapua. I use it for my comp 6.5x55 brass. For 45-70 I use Starline and it is quite competative with other brands. As for Remington, well what can I say they used to be competitive but they doubled the price on all components and has just gone up from there. I don't use Winchester much as I feel they have a thinner quality of brass.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    A few months ago I bought 250 pieces of starline 45-70 brass from starline for $110 with free shipping.
    Happiness is a warm gun.....The Beatles

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links