+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrangler
    Member #

.30-30 Varmint Load?

After reading this article 30-30 Varmint Loads I began looking around Marlin Owners for information on .30-30 varmint loads but didn't see anything (maybe I wasn't looking good enough). At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had any familiarity with this or any similar load that might be used for coyotes. I know the .30-30 isn't an ideal gun for this endeavor, but I am just curious, of course.

Here's the load mentioned in the article: Hornady 100gr Short Jacket (#3005) with 39 grains of A2015, claiming nearly 3000 fps. The author claims zeroing the rifle to hit 3" high at 100 yards puts it on at 300 yards. I think all of this seems a little ambitious, though I am not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to reloading, and I haven't even bought my own press yet. I'm just looking for some ideas to expand the functions of my lever actions once I do buy the press.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I don't know about 3000fps but my fav load for coyotes is the Sierra 110 HP Varminter bullet with Reloader 7. I know others use the same bullet with 748 and/or BL(C)-3. This bullet really explodes in a coyote. I load it to 2.6 inches OAL (this is the Max length that will cycle in my 336).
    I also never load up the mag tube. 1 in the chamber and 1 in the tube is plenty. You don't get a lot of follow up shots at coyotes around my place.

Bob A

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    I don't know about 3000fps but my fav load for coyotes is the Sierra 110 HP Varminter bullet with Reloader 7. I know others use the same bullet with 748 and/or BL(C)-3. This bullet really explodes in a coyote. I load it to 2.6 inches OAL (this is the Max length that will cycle in my 336).
    I also never load up the mag tube. 1 in the chamber and 1 in the tube is plenty. You don't get a lot of follow up shots at coyotes around my place.

Bob A
    I agree that 2 is plenty. I've hunted coyote off-and-on the past twenty years and have found the opportunity for follow-up shots to be a very rare occurrence indeed.

A question about your load: when you say it really explodes in the coyote, are you talking in such a way that the pelt is pretty much ruined?

Thanks for the feedback.

Wrangler
    Member #
    The Sierra 110 HP is very explosive. It will not exit a coyote but it will make hash out of his insides.
    I suppose you could get an exit wound with a shot into a very thin part of the body. If that happened, it would be a mess.
    The 110 SPs from Speer and Hornady are similar and have better BC but are much more likely to exit with a big hole.
    The Hornady 110 VMax is explosive like the 110 Sierra but will not cycle through the 336 action.
    I've done a lot of water jug testing with these bullets but only have shot coyotes with the Sierra.
    Both the Hornady VMax and Sierra 110HP will blow up the first jug but not penetrate the 2nd.
    The Hornady and Speer 110 SP bullets also blow up the first jug but also do some damage to the 2nd jug.

I have tried snipping off the plastic tip of the VMax. This gets it short enough to cycle and it seems to shoot very well but I am still using the
    Sierra because they are accurate in my gun and I have confidence in them and I have 200 in stock. The VMax have a much better BC, so they are probably worth a try.

Also, there is no market for coyote pelts around here so I never worry about pelt damage. I don't get any but wouldn't care if I did.
    I guess the zero risk bullet for pelt damage would be an FMJ or hard hunting bullet.

I also use my 22 hornet with the 40g VMax. Dead coyotes out to 150 yards and I can never even find an entry hole, much less an exit but all 1 shot kills.
    I amuse myself year round shooting coyotes and squirrels off my back porch. Life in the hills can be good.

Bob A

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    If all you have is a 30-30 then by all means have fun but you will not even come close to my 223 or 22-250 and you will spend a lot more money trying to kill that coyote. Don't get me wrong I love my 30-30 but it is not accurate enough to be a long range varmint gun when I have other guns that do it much better.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Here's the link to another thread from a couple months ago on the same subject. There are some options that may be a little less extreme than in the 30-30 varmint load article.

Since you are fairly new here and I am not familiar with your experience level there is one strong warning I'll offer. Some of these bullets mentioned are NOT recommended for tube magazines and as such are only loaded one in the chamber and one in the mag tube. Spitzer style pointed bullets really irritate the primer in the tube ahead of them.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/76636-lighter-30-30-bullets-not-lighter-loads.html
    "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Picnic-ing, Miss Dandridge? Where, in St Louis?" Captain Nathan Brittles/She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...on-sheets.html

Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For another option, unless you prefer to handload them, is the Rem Accelerator factory round. I'd forgotten about them until I saw an old thread on the same topic in another firearms forum. I've never used them but am thinking about it unless coyotes start swarming my deer hunting spot like zombies in a B movie. A box of 20 would last me a couple years at least.

Don't know if they are readily available or if they shoot well. Someone more experienced here may shed some light on that round for you. I'll probably go with the Sierra 110HP unless I hear differently. Like Bob A I think Swany uses them, maybe 30wcf too, and they all seem pleased with their performance.
    "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Picnic-ing, Miss Dandridge? Where, in St Louis?" Captain Nathan Brittles/She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...on-sheets.html

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
    If all you have is a 30-30 then by all means have fun but you will not even come close to my 223 or 22-250 and you will spend a lot more money trying to kill that coyote. Don't get me wrong I love my 30-30 but it is not accurate enough to be a long range varmint gun when I have other guns that do it much better.
    You have a really good point. I use my 22 Hornet and 30-30 for shooting coyotes because I like them, they have all the range I need to shoot the critters in my little valley and they don't scare the horses too much. Longest possible shot is 200 yards but the most common is about 125. My 30-30 is plenty accurate to shoot a yote at 125 yards.
    Now, if I was going Coyote Hunting (vs shooting them off the back porch), I would be armed with more range. Either a true varmint caliber like 223 / 22-250 or just a longer range deer rifle.

Bob A

Wrangler
    Member #
    I appreciate all of the feedback. I don't really expect my .30-30 to compete with my .243 in taking predators - it's a matter of curiosity, a chance to have a little more fun with an otherwise limited cartridge (in my opinion).

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    You have a really good point. I use my 22 Hornet and 30-30 for shooting coyotes because I like them, they have all the range I need to shoot the critters in my little valley and they don't scare the horses too much. Longest possible shot is 200 yards but the most common is about 125. My 30-30 is plenty accurate to shoot a yote at 125 yards.
    Now, if I was going Coyote Hunting (vs shooting them off the back porch), I would be armed with more range. Either a true varmint caliber like 223 / 22-250 or just a longer range deer rifle.

Bob A
    Is the 22 Hornet really that effective? I don't doubt you; I just have no experience with it. I had a chance to grab one while back for real cheap but passed because I want to instead add a 17 HMR.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links