+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ph [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Ohaus "Du-O-Matic" powder measure lost part

Hi all,
    I need your help. I started to load some 45-70 ammo yesterday and discovered the drop tube was awol from my old Ohaus model 7200 powder measure. The drop tube is friction fit and must have taken a hike and has hidden well. I researched that the scale is not made anymore and part #7211-00 and/or part #7211-01 are not available. I've looked at Sinclair Intl and Huntingtons without any luck. Anyone know if a Redding part#03003 will work? Or where I might find an Ohaus part. It's only an inch + long piece of nylon or plastic with a hole in the middle and one end tappered to slide on the measure and the other end tappered to seal against the case mouth. I guess I might take a saw to a powder funnel and cut it to fit over the nipple and hold it in place with a large rubber band, but... TIA, ph

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Give RCBS a call. They may have purchased OHaus or their back stock.

ph [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    Give RCBS a call. They may have purchased OHaus or their back stock.
    Thanks kelbro. I got the following from RCBS:

We no longer have any parts for the duo-measure. You can return it and we will exchange it for the Uniflow Powder Measure. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!

Thank you,

Technical Services/ap
    ATK/RCBS Operation
    (800) 533-5000

I guess I'll try to look at other measures to see if one of them will work or start cobbling something. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ph View Post
    Thanks kelbro. I got the following from RCBS:

We no longer have any parts for the duo-measure. You can return it and we will exchange it for the Uniflow Powder Measure. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!

Thank you,

Technical Services/ap
    ATK/RCBS Operation
    (800) 533-5000

I guess I'll try to look at other measures to see if one of them will work or start cobbling something. Thanks again for the suggestion.
    I would take RCBS up on their offer! Since they said "exchange" and did not mention money, you may get free measure for your trouble.
    The Uniflow works good. I have used one for 40+ years.
    M.

M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I'd jump on the offer from RCBS. I've been looking for a replacement powder reservoir for my Duo-Measure with no luck. Called Ohaus and they don't have any old stock. When I called RCBS (they once marketed a version) I was told they no longer carried any parts and that none of their current parts was compatible. They never extended that offer to me.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    As far as replacement hoppers for the Duo-Measure go, I've found that a good solution is to buy a MEC powder bottle and which ever powder baffle for same catches your eye. The bottle will screw into the baffle tube. That baffle needs to have it's male MEC threads almost removed to fit snugly into the body of the Due-Measure. Now prep both surfaces where they meet by roughening them and degreasing them, and epoxy them together. BTW, you should have the lightly lubed rotor/arm in place before you do this. This will preclude post glue clean up and strong language. HTH.

ph [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by korny351 View Post
    I'd jump on the offer from RCBS. I've been looking for a replacement powder reservoir for my Duo-Measure with no luck. Called Ohaus and they don't have any old stock. When I called RCBS (they once marketed a version) I was told they no longer carried any parts and that none of their current parts was compatible. They never extended that offer to me.
    Hi Korny351,
    I e-mailed the "contact" folks from the RCBS website. I'd try again if I were you. It seems that if they would trade for a $.50 part they would extend the same offer for a $2.00 part (price as stated in the 1972 Ohaus manual). Call me extra strange but I'd feel bad trading off an old, reliable friend for flashy new one. I'm now searching for a piece of nylon or plastic to repair my old buddy.

Thanks for all the replies, ph

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    This is interesting since I accidentally hit my 40+/- year Ohaus DU-O-Measure today and the very delicate plastic powder powder bottle broke again for the upteenth time. That plastic powder bottle is the weak link to this fine measure. Parts are not available. I googled around and found the above posts. I will contact RCBS next week and see what they will do. I also saw a post on boolits.com that suggested making a replacement bottle out of a Sprite bottle. This project will likely require some duct tape.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #
    I would say some PVC and a lathe access should get you a new part. Takes a little to find it but clear is available.

If your powder bottle is a thread in part I would recommend you try making an adapter that can use another bottle source.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

ph [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smlake View Post
    This is interesting since I accidentally hit my 40+/- year Ohaus DU-O-Measure today and the very delicate plastic powder powder bottle broke again for the upteenth time. That plastic powder bottle is the weak link to this fine measure. Parts are not available. I googled around and found the above posts. I will contact RCBS next week and see what they will do. I also saw a post on boolits.com that suggested making a replacement bottle out of a Sprite bottle. This project will likely require some duct tape.
    Hi smlake,
    bbqncigars (above) suggestion to use an MEC powder or shot container is a great suggestion. I dug out my MEC powder bottle and it would provide a very durable replacement for $7 or $8 and a little filing of the thread area.

Hi swany,

Any suggestion on where to aquire some pvc. I've got a drop made out of oak but I'm sure pvc would be alot better. I've also come up with some measurements if anyone needs them.

Thanks guys

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links