+ Reply to Thread

Wrangler
    Member #

Reloading the 30 carbine

Does anyone here reload 30 carbine. I just picked one up and the Lee manual says max load to be 15.5 of H110under a 100 gr JSP. That's only a grain less than my 158, 357 load. That's the same max charge I put in my 357, seems a bit too hot for me, I'll definately work up to it. Another Q seems all the powders are pistol, just wondering if anyone has used Varget or something similar in them.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Reloading the 30 carbine

My best friend has a 30 carbine and I helped him load up about 200 rounds for it. We used 15.0 grains of H110 with the 100 grain JRNs and 14.4 grains of Lil Gun with the same bullet. No problesm with either load and they seemed to be accurate loads. Start low and build up as usual and you should quickly find a load that works for you.

You are correct in your observation of the loads being similar for a .357 mag! The loads for the .357 are about the same. The 30 carbine is basically a pistol type load. Ruger put out the Black Hawk in 30 carbine at one time. I saw a used one recently for sale at the local Cabelas. I use Papa John's pet load of 16.2 grains of Lil Gun for my .357 158 grain jacketed bullet loads. Very accurate! I have used loads from 15.0 grains to 16.5 grains of H110 for the 158 jacket .357 rounds as well.

The 30 carbine is a real kick to shoot and you are going to have a lot of fun with it. Enjoy!

CJ

USN RET Team 35 member #33

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Super Moderator
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

Don't worry about the amount of powder, the .30 Carbine is essentially a magnum 30-caliber round designed from the start to be used in a rifle barrel. Factory specs call for a muzzle velocity from an 18-inch barrel of a hair under 2000 fps, which is about what you'd get from a hot 357 load from the same length barrel.

Varget is too slow for the .30 Carbine, Lil Gun and H-110 are very well suited to it. Other powders that do well in the .30 would be 4227, 2400 and AA-1680. The cartridge has been around since the early 40's, but was designed to work in blowback guns, which led the designers to set a pressure ceiling of about 40,000 CUP, far below what modern military rounds achieve. Out of a handgun the .30 Carbine is a handful, and the blast and muzzle flash are downright horrid. Out of a rifle it's a lot of fun, though most carbines tend to throw the brass a pretty fair distance.......not something that endears itself to reloaders!

The 327 Federal and the .30 Carbine have a lot in common. With hollow-point bullets designed for the velocities that can be attained, it makes a good varmint or self-defense round, and the carbine is easy for small-statured shooters to handle.

Dr Martin Fackler, longtime head of the Wound Ballistics Laboratory for the US Army’s Medical Training Center, (and a former battlefield surgeon) keeps an M-1 Carbine as his personal Home Defense rifle. Quite an endorsement!
    Congressman John V. Lindsay (1921-2000): “Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order."
)

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

As usual PJ you add a great amount of background and knowledge to these reloading threads. I found your comments on Dr Martin Fackler very informative. My budy has had his M-1 carbine since about 1960. Back then we used to hunt jack rabbits in the high dessert of Northern Calif about 40 miles NW of Reno, Nevada. That M-1 was always a kick to shoot and I always looked forward to "my turn" with it. The Marlin 1894C in .357 is almost as much fun!

CJ
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Gunfighter
    Member #

I haven't shot my carbine since '74. Then I used #2400 powder and a Speer or Hornady half jacket 100g bullet. I bought it in the 60's for $20 from the DCM (then part of the U.S. government).
    Prior to the 60's the minimum barrel length for a rifle was 18 inches. If you had a M1 carbine, you had to weld on a barrel extension or flash hider to make the barrel 18 inches. The government changed the law to make 16 inches legal for a rifle (shotgun barrel minimum length remained 18 inches) specifically so they could sell all the carbines they had as surplus. The government was smarter then.
    H110 was designed for the m1 carbine. H for Hodgdon, 110 for the standard 110 grain carbine bullet.
    The gas system is not cleanable unless you have a special tool and the piston nut is usually staked in place. Because of this, all military m1 carbine ammunition has been loaded with non-corrosive primers. (WW2 and Korean .30-06 ammo was loaded with corrosive primers.)
    An old trick when cleaning the carbine is to turn it over so the gas cylinder is above the barrel. That keeps the crud out of the gas cylinder and lets excess solvent run out.
    Because of the gas system it is best not to use cast bullets in the carbine to keep lead out of the gas cylinder. .30 cal half-jackets work fine.
    My old ROTC sergeant didn't care for them. Something about having his broken down for cleaning in Korea when the Chinese came for a visit.
    M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links