+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

Alliant Power Pro Varmit in a 30/30?

Has anybody tried this powder yet? I'm curious to know it's performace. Currently I'm using 130 grain Speer Hot Cor's over 35 grains of Varget. I don't have any problems or anything. I don't have a chrono to measure velocity or energy but for my purpose (hunting, some target shooting) It does well accuracy and performance wise. But like everybody else I'm always curious about ways I can possibly improve. Also will soon be loading for a 223 and 243. For same purpose. That's the reason I use Varget seems to be a good all around powder from what I read.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

Re: Alliant Power Pro Varmit in a 30/30?

Tim, I love experimenting with new powders, but if you're already getting good results with Varget, you might as well stick with it. I get great accuracy (though not the highest velocity) with Varget in my 223's, both bolt-action and semi-auto. I don't have a .243, but I bet it would serve you well there, too. One thing though.........I see maximum load data for the 223 showing as much as 27.5 grains of Varget with a given bullet. Try as I might, I've never been able to get more than 26.5 or so into the case before it overflows, so I just fill the case to the base of the bullet and go shooting. I like high load density, but I think compressed charges are an unnecessary hassle. YMMV.

BTW, if anyone tries that Pro Varmint powder with the 130-grain bullet, I'd love to know what kind of velocity you're getting. That bullets shoots really well in my 1964 RC, and Alliant claims a top velocity of 2582 fps from a 24-inch tube. I may have to try that powder myself, their new 2000-MR is my new favorite .308 powder, I just bought three more pounds of it, and ordered another eight pounds from Graf's. Yes, In my rifle, it's THAT good. On a good day, it will do this well at 200 yards.

"There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Tinhorn
    Member #

Papajohn, I guess we all love experimenting or we wouldn't be handloading. Least that's how I see it. Technique, equipment, or both it seems we are always trying something new. To make what we have better. I'm quite happy with Varget so far...hand't got to see what it'll do in the deer woods yet. but I'll know come November. But I'm curious as how different powders preform with everything else the same...gun, bullet weight etc. Accuracy wise Varget seems just fine. Not sure what velocity I'm getting since I don't own a chronograph yet.

I hadn't got 223 or 243 dies yet to see how well Varget performs in them. But it seemed like a good all around powder to start with. For the calibers I will be loading. But I think I'll try both powders in all three calibers and see which one they like the best. From the looks of things 2000-MR is working well for you. I had thought about giving it a whirl in my 30/30 but going by burn rate I couldn't get enough into the case to equal the other. I may try it in the 243 though.

Member #

One of the powders I was coerced into trying was IMR-8208, all the pundits in the reloading press treated it like it was the greatest thing ever, and guaranteed to cut your group size in half. I tried it in the .308 and wasn't too impressed. But this week I tried it in the 257 Roberts, a gun and load that has given less than stellar results. The hotter the load got the more accuracy improved, and I may have a MOA rifle after all.

"If it ain't broken don't fix it", is heard a lot, but with handloading, there's no such thing as "enough accuracy" to a diehard. The group pictured above was good..........but I decided I could do better, and kept tinkering with the load. I worked the charge up another two grains to 47.0/2000MR, seating the bullet out to an overall length of 2.835". Group size dropped by about a third, right off the bat.

The Experimentation will continue! Now if I could just quit being the biggest variable............

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Tinhorn
    Member #

A 257 Roberts is something I would like to have. I've personally never had one but know people that have and have yet to hear anything bad yet. Maybe it just needed faster velocity to stablize. Speaking of which something that has worked really well for me is some stuff called Gun Juice made by Microlon. Treat your bore like the directions say and you'll be amazed at what you can get out of anything you put it in. It greatly reduces friction during bullet travel. Less friction = velocity. It really helps your grouping to. Your right there is no such thing as enough accuracy. If we could get a shot .25 group from a .50 diameter bullet maybe we'd be happy .

Member #

Funny you mentioned Gun Juice, a friend gave me a bottle for Christmas last year, and I've been thinking of trying it on the 257! It sounds like treating the barrel is kind of a lengthy process, but I'll give it another look, I may have read too much into it. What have you used it in? Specific results? Inquiring minds want to know!

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Tinhorn
    Member #

I've put it in everything I have from shotguns, muzzeloaders, rimfires, and centerfires. I just got a new bottle to treat the rest I didn't get to because I ran out. But here is a specific result. I have a 10/22 magnum before I treated it at 50 yards would shoot a 5 shot group a little bigger than a cigarette pack after it consistently cloverleaf. Another expriment was with a 10/22 dad owns. We took a 4ft long treated 4x4 stood on its end. At 150 aiming at the top would hit in the bottom of it. And you could take a pocket knife dig the bullet out. After treating you could hold dead center and POI would be the center. It shot through the 4x4 and a inch board backer. When we got home after shooting 50 rounds the bore looked clean, but ran a bore snake through anyway. Shotguns it'll make your shot pattern a whole lot tighter.

It is a lengthy process to treat it but once it's there it's there Usually about 7 to 8 shots treating in between each shot. The way I have always done it was start with a solvent that removed any copper or lead from the bore. Then a dry patch to make sure nothing is left in the bore. Once at the range pull a patch of gun juicethrough once, fire, patch of juice through again. Repeat until it's treated. Don't be alarmed when your elevation rises with each shot, it's part of the process. You just repeat until it levels off and climbs no higher. Re zero at your desired range and you have it. I've been wanting to treat my 336 but I'm giving it time to get broke in a little more first. It also works great to slicken the actions. hahaha you'd never expect a post '64 94 to work as smooth as a Henry would you?

Tinhorn
    Member #

By reading about it, it may sound to good to be true when you visit their website. But after you try it things are not hard to believe then. I never would have thought a run of the mill 10/22 would do that.

Member #

I'm more interested in treating centerfire rifles than rimfires, I guess I'll try it on the 257 and chronograph it as I go, the instructions say the velocity will keep increasing until the treatment is complete. I haven't seen any write-ups of it that I recall, might have to do some serious note-taking and report back when I get a chance to test it.

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Tinhorn
    Member #

It works for all, and even a thin coat in the action will slicken it up just got to work it a few times. Yes the velocity does increase that's why your shots during the treating process climbs higher and higher. Sorta like driving on ice at 50 mph then slamming on the brakes....you get faster lol. I had a 243 I treated with it once, it was amazing what it would do.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links