+ Reply to Thread

Wrangler
    Member #

Is this for a 38 cal. or 38-55???? bullet mold?

I just inherited a very old (appears to be lyman) single cavity bullet mold. No part #s i can see, but from the handles it seems to be lyman. Appears to be blued steel. no gas check.
    So,........I was thinking it was a 38/357,. makes nice bullets...but the front of it seems more like it's trying to get a rifle trajectory rather than pistol...more elongated...with a fairly small flat nose.

So, I decided to mic some of them, since I was going to size them and load them up for my 38.
    They are around .380,.... That's an awful lot of bullet to be sizing down. So I started thinking it may be for a caliber that I am not familiar with.

The bullets come out at a 149 grains...give or take.
    So....Is this mold for some sort of old time rifle they don't make anymore?
    Can I use size it for a regular 38 caliber? I hope so...it sure makes nice bullets. All of my other molds are lees... Nothing wrong with lees...but this is in a better ballpark...so to speak.

Ok,
    Anybody know anything, let me know. I am at a loss. May order a sizer and try sizing them anyway. But squeezing something down over 20 thousanths...is quite a bit.
    Ok,
    thanks in advance for any info.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Is this for a 38 cal. or 38-55???? bullet mold?

Diameter is right for a .38-55, but it is very light for that cartridge...

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Could it be this projectile in the pic?

Gunfighter
    Member #

Sizing them is not worth the effort. If you have the strength to size them, you will wipe off most of the grease grooves. Sizing that much kills accuracy.
    FredT identified the bullet's use. Even if it is not the exact one pictured, it would fit a .36 cal muzzle loading revolver.
    FYI- The Colts usually take a .375 ball. The Remingtons, in the picture, have looser chambers and need a .380 ball or bullet.
    M.
    We need to support the rights of owners of "assualt rifles" and "high capacity magazines"
    Otherwise our guns WILL be next!
    The Henry 44 lever action rifle (16 rounds) The "assualt rifle" of the Civil war.
    The Winchester 1873 (15 rounds) The "assault rifle" of the Indian wars.
    The MARLIN 1894 (10 rounds) The "assault rifle" of 2013 New York gun laws.
    DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO OPPOSE THE OBAMA GUN LAWS!

Wrangler
    Member #

It is the 37583 you have in the picture there.

But so far no bullet has been less than about .3805 or so. I mic'd quite a few.
    And they do not throw 145 gr. bullet...it's about 149 give or take. My alloy for this one is mostly lead..with a few WW and tin thrown in,...but I planned on around 750 to 800 fps. so figured softer was better. I've got a hardness checker around here somewhere if I need it.

You are also right...they are hard to size, (just got a .358 sizer)...might give it up on that one alone and order a lee 6 cav. and sell that one... But they look awfully cool when they are done going through the sizer. NOTHING I've ever cast has looked that cool after sizing.The grease grooves are made smaller by the sizer,. but are still uniform and all of that.

As far as accuracy goes, I'm lucky to hit anything anyway,..so it won't make much of a difference there (other than maybe by how far I miss). Maybe all you guys I keep hearing about that can shoot straight with a a handgun need to come show me how it's done. I can shoot straight enough to tell when one gun groups better than another..but that is about it. In the end,...the tin can is either hit or missed. No great loss if I miss.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links