+ Reply to Thread

Wrangler
    Member #

AA2520, problems

I bought a 8# keg of this powder from a gunshop last year and loaded up some 308, 35 Whelen, 35 Remington for two different guns, and 223 also for 2 different rifles. Actually the load work up and shooting in the summer went fine. Primers all looked normal and accuracy was all I could ask for. I often work up loads and leave the barrel dirty for hunting season. The first surprise was my 35 Whelen as I took it deer hunting and noticed some small patches of rust about mid barrel. Strange I thought, I cleaned the barrel and took a large feral hog with it. Next up was the 308. I hunted in below freezing temperatures and killed a deer with it's load of a 150 gr. Speer bullet and 46.0 grs. of AA2520, seemed really destructive and the primer showed a bit of flattening. I just chalked it up to it being in an IMI case. Ok the next time I had this rifle out I shot a feral hog after dark and the temperature was around 12 degrees. This time it blew the primer and locked up the rifle. It also killed the hog with losts of destruction! The case was easily tapped out of the rifle but I was not going to shoot any of the ammo so I switched rifles. This happened last week and I just got around to checking the rifle out. No damage to the rifle but there is a small area of rust about mid barrel. I pulled the bullets and weighed every one of the 20 remaining rounds powder charge, spot on at 46.0 grains. Now for the 223's. The load for these rifles was worked up in August, 26.3 grs. of AA 2520 and a 60 gr. Hornady HP. It was very accurate and looked for all the world like a mild load. Well I was asked to go on a deer culling operation and one of the stipulations was that we had to use 22 centerfires. It was really cold that week and in fact the hunt didn't happen because of the cold and I went to kill the hog with the 308 instead. Both 223 rifles show sticky extraction and cratered primers in the below freezing temps. I am just about to check their bores for rust. Yep every barrel I shot this powder in has some rust in it at or just before mid barrel. This about 10 days after firing. Now for the 35 Remingtons which were last shot in august. The Marlin which was cleaned after the shooting shows no problems but the 14 inch Contender barrel is pretty dark on top of the rifling. I have other rifles which I shoot Hodgen and IMR powders with none of these issues.
    aker of "Catfish Crack" punch bait

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: AA2520, problems

When you shot the Hodgdon and IMR powders, was it in freezing temps?

The bore of any gun if taken from inside to out and back in cold weather will sweat, freeze, and sublimate. This explains the mid bore rusting. Air can circulate some from the action opening and the barrel ends. I ran into this problem with my muzzleloader. It caused several problems and misfires during that hunting trip, and will not happen again, If I am going to hunt in freezing temps, I won't load my gun until it's at outside temperatures, and I will also leave it outside if keeping it loaded for more than one day.
    God, Guns, and Guts is what made this Country Free. I intend to keep it that way!

Wrangler
    Member #

Yes freezing temps and especially in Wyoming. The mid barrel rusting seems to be exactly where the AA2520 left the most powder fouling. My gun safe is in an unheated outbuilding. The guns taken inside are put in a closet that has no heating vent while still in their cases. I have been doing this for better than 30 years and have never had rust in a barrel until I started using this powder. After cleaning the 223's it appears the light rusting has not left any disernable pits.

Tinhorn
    Member #

hmmmmmm.....I haven't heard of this powder being more corrosive than any other, how do you clean/treat your barrels?
    God, Guns, and Guts is what made this Country Free. I intend to keep it that way!

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I use AA2520 in the 35 Remington and am not having any of those problems. I would think that you would get higher pressures when the temperature is high out, like shooting in mid Summer. I will admit that AA2520 isn't the most clean burning, but I'm wondering how you are getting rust? Did you mention what primers you are using?
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Wrangler
    Member #

I agree completely, I expected the lower temperatures to make pressures lower. That is just not what happened. I called Accurate Arms Inc today an they have not returned my call. I am not going to use the powder like I would IMR 3031. This is a powder related problem, there are no other logical explanations.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links