Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Show off those reloading benches...

135K views 532 replies 185 participants last post by  Morgan321 
#1 ·
I searched and didn't find a thread like this...if I missed one I apologize.

They are a great way for new guys to get ideas of how they might like theirs set up.

My humble setup is 2 stage RCBS...I prefer single stage loading because a lot of my shooting is long range shooting, and reloading, to me, is just as much fun as shooting...and very relaxing. I also have 2 walk in closets full of stuff thats not pictured here. I try to keep only what I'm currently using on the bench, less chance of grabbing the wrong powder that way.

My little bullet and primer bin is full of 45acp and 308 bullets (the two I use the most), my whole family shoots and carries 45acp handguns...its nothing for us to walk out back and go through 500-600 rounds per session. (yes, I spend a lot of time at that bench). My youngest son (3 years old) likes to help me (he works the handle on the press I'm not using at the time...LOL). My other son (16) has other things on his mind these days, you know how it is as a teenage boy...but he certainly knows his way around a reloading bench. Shooting is a family affair at my house...

Anyway...my setup...

The bench is bolted to the floor on all 4 legs, bolted to the back wall in 3 places...the bullet and primer bin that gets my scale up to eye level so I don't have to bend over to see it is bolted the bench and to the wall, nothing moves....its solid.

No nails...its all screwed together.

I built the bench from stuff I had laying around...except for the top, I bought a pressure treated 2"x12" for that. The shelves are made from leftover 5/4 decking board.

For years I only had that old Rockchucker...Its amazing how much faster it is with 2 presses, that is if you're trying for quantity. My wife bought me the new Rockchucker last year for my birthday...so she could shoot more.

See less See more
#2 ·
The bench is stack-on. The top is made out of two layers of single side sanded 3/4 plywood sandwiched together.

A Hornady LNL progressive and Lyman Tmag are the main stays.

I just slide the bench out into the middle of the room to work and then when I'm done, slide it back out of the way.

#8 ·
flyingfool said:
I saw what may be a coincidence, or is it?

I noticed that both pictures have Mobile 1 Synthetic oil either a quart or a box.

Is there some secret reloading need for Mobile 1?
Mobil 1 synthetic...cheap, effective, readily available bolt lube for an AR 15.

#10 ·
I segregated my loading into 2 areas. Garage for messier case prep (resizing, trimming, chamfering, primer pocket uniform, etc), and my man cave for priming, powder charge and bullet seating. In TX where it's quite hot and humid, powder/primer storage and handling is best done climate controlled!

Even though it's (supposedly) my cave, it was an easier battle with the mrs if I could obscure the "loading bench" with doors when our kids' young friends are over. I converted a armoire we had used for a TV after upgrading to flat screens. The cabinets and shelves actually do a pretty good job storing bullets and dies as well (keeps them out of the humidity).

The pics show the flanges I mounted that will accept and secure my homemade press stand (and other tools like plywood-mounted vise, case trimmer, etc). It's a snap to move things back and forth that way. Love the RCBS chargemaster. If you are anal about powder weight like me, there's nothing better...

#385 ·
LOL so I take it you're the Heisenberg of reloaders? :biggrin:

#12 ·
I have much to learn. No way I'm going to post a pic of my "reloading" bench, as you guys make me wonder if I could even make the JV reloading squad.

This summer I'll move full-time to the farm in TN and I'll have a barn/shop all to myself. THEN I'll post a pic!

#14 · (Edited)
An old piece of kitchen counter top on the cheapest under counter cabinets at the home store. Added a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood with a tube of construction adhesive for extra stiffening. Easy clean surface, lots of storage and solid as a rock. The presses are mounted off to the right to leave a large area for gun cleaning and miscellaneous tasks. The vise with soft jaws is used a lot more than you'd think on a reloading bench. The typing table holds my brass low to my right hand, just the way I like it.

When not in use, the typing table stores in the knee hole of the bench.

Since these pictures were taken, the Rockchucker has been replaced on the bench by a 550. The Rockchucker is mounted to a board that is lag bolted to the cleaning area when needed.

#15 ·
I was going to post a picture of my reloading bench, but I couldn't find it! I haven't done any reloading in a couple of weeks and it got covered with other things - it's one of the best lighted surfaces in my house so it get used for lots of projects.

#277 · (Edited)
Reactions: msharley
#19 ·
This is what I set up this year. I plan on getting some strong shelving for storage and a add on for my shot shell loader. So far it works real well and has room for adding drawers which will come in time.

#20 ·
Not much has changed since I rebuilt my setup last June, but I did somehow manage to add several thousand bullets, a dozen powders I didn't have, and forty pounds of junk. I thought when I finished it I had plenty of counter and shelf space.........now I'm thinking I'm going to have to build another 100-pound shelf unit to have places for all the new junk.

#22 ·
Peyute said:
Papa you have more in stock then the local gun shop,,, mind if i come shopping?!!!
Weah but he uses it all up fast. He shoots more than any one on MO. He will probably have to restock before you can get to his stash.

Reactions: moofy07
#24 ·
Nightfisher said:
Yeah but he uses it all up fast. He shoots more than any one on MO.
I wish that was true. In years past, it probably was, but given the price of components these days, and the fact that I haven't had a raise in seven years, I'm not shooting near as much as I used to. Still loading a lot, but shooting less. Crummy weather is part of it too, my club range tends to be pretty sloppy in the winter, and I don't have the patience to keep slogging out to the target boards. But come spring, I'll try to make up for it. :)

BTW, we had a Reloading Bench thread a couple years back, and got a lot of interesting responses...............

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,32718.0.html

#25 ·
Ridgerunner665, I like your bench and tool placements very well with the exception of where the powder measure sits. If you moved the box holding your scale/trickler a foot or so to the left, then put your measure in a conventonal bench stand and mount it so the measure sits in the middle of your bench top and between the press and the scale it should make your powder chores of dropping/weighing/trickling/charging noticably faster and smoother.

Just a thought that has worked well for me for a long time now.

#26 ·
Fuzzball said:
Ridgerunner665, I like your bench and tool placements very well with the exception of where the powder measure sits. If you moved the box holding your scale/trickler a foot or so to the left, then put your measure in a conventonal bench stand and mount it so the measure sits in the middle of your bench top and between the press and the scale it should make your powder chores of dropping/weighing/trickling/charging noticably faster and smoother.

Just a thought that has worked well for me for a long time now.
Fuzzball,
That was my original plan, but I found that I liked the little "work space" there in the middle. Thanks for the tip though... :)