+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Case bulge in 45-70

I have noticing 2 thing with my 45-70 loads:

1. pressures (estimated by recoil & lever popping open) seem to be higher than they should be with a given load.

2. My reloads all have a bulge where the bullet sits in the case.

I have looked up several threads on this forum about case bulge, but noticed no one had measured a sized case prior to seating a bullet. I did this tonight with caliper and micrometer. I found that the inside and outside deimensions of my sized cases are considerably smaller than published standards.

I am using a Lee die set.

I am obviously going to look into a new set of dies. Any suggestions out there??

Deadeye
    Member #

Case bulge in 45-70

The bulge is normal in my reloads,just shootem! What load data are you using? Lee dies are fine! I use Lee and rcbs.
    NRA Member

Gunfighter
    Member #

Case bulge in 45-70

Back your die off about 4 turns. The case and die are tapered and this will reduce the amount the case is sized. This is pretty normal in the .45-70.

Check a fired case to see if a bullet is a slide fit before resizing. One of the things that can cause high pressures is a chamber too tight for your bullet and case combination. If a bullet will not slide into a fired case, that's your likely culprit.
    hen you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras.

Wrangler
    Member #

Case bulge in 45-70

stobey:

I found that the lever would pop open when I shot. It was caused by recoil forcing the gun up with my hand inside the lever loop opening the action. Try holding the gun with your hand outside the lever loop.

What was the load? If it was weighed and from a manual it probably was not overpressure. If the load is ok, and the cartridge will feed, I think it is probably OK. Just to be safe try backing down the powder charge to the minimum, and see if it continues. Remember the 45/70 recoil will never be the same as a 22 rimfire.
    The shortest distance between two politicians is through your wallet.

Don N.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Case bulge in 45-70

Stobey,

I followed Leftoverdj's advice awhile back. It worked.

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #

Case bulge in 45-70

If you get a Lyman "M" die that will get rid of that bulge, their is nothing at all wrong with your Lee dies.............................................M arko
    Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one,
    and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and
    Satans tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!
    Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links