Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: New bench

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    Living With Powder Scales Sub
    Static Electricity & Magnetic Fields
    Keeping a clear space around you scale. Static electricity near digital or balance beam scale can affect measurement accuracy just as much as a stray air current. Always use a powder pan made from metal or from static dissipative plastic . You can also wash you scale's pan with a little dish soap and allowing the soap film to dry on the pan. You can also occasionally wipe the pan with a non-scented frabic softener sheet to achieve the same results.
    Keep items made from plastic away from the scale, including plastic or Styrofoam loading blocks, die storage boxes, ammunition storage boxes, Akro bins, etc.
    Don't forget the static on your body! If you have a carpeted work area or leading to it you can build up a rather large charge. A static spark to electronic powder scale is not only bad for accuracy; it can destroy the scale’s circuits! Even if you don't build enough charge to cause a spark, you can build enough charge to affect your powder scale’s accuracy. You can spray the carpets in your area with the commercial Static Guard TM or make your own witha spray bottle containing a tablespoon or two of fabric softener in a pint of water. Spray either directly on the carpet. Also, touching a grounded metal object once in a while will drain any charge from your body.
    If you have a Formica covered loading bench you should wipe it down with an anti-static preparation before doing any loading. You should also ground the surface by attaching a thin copper wire to the Formica with a screw and attached the other end of the wire to a grounded surface.
    Digital scales can be strongly affected by magnetic fields and electrical interference generated by various devices. Don't use a digital scale near any electronic device such as a computer, monitor, radio, or cell phone. Note that fluorescent lights can create interference. If you are experiencing a problem with your digital scale and you have fluorescent lights or electronics in your work are test things with the lights and equipment turned off.

this is kinda sorta waaay off topic but i gotta ask. because i'm around 110 yrs old or so all the fats worn off the padding on the balls of my feet (says the foot dr.) and it hurts like hell to walk barefoot on my hardwood floor so i got a pair of sandals to pad around the house on. and SOMETIMES when wearing em when i touch a door knob or a light switch i get shocked bad. then other times nothing. i have to carry a rag with me to act as an insulator if its a "shock day". any ideas? SORRY NOT TRYING TO HIJACK THREAD.
    Scorpiusb and M1Riflenut like this.
    LINCOLN freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone
    theres never been in the history of the world a country that taxed its way into prosperity

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lukianoj View Post
    Looking really good! How it going together for you?
    Easy peasy! I'm really going to like this bench...
    Bart

Ninyahwh ting’awh ts’ilting’

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League
    Symptoms of Marlinitis #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 30, 31, 36.

Fair winds and following seas Dad...

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    this is kinda sorta waaay off topic but i gotta ask. because i'm around 110 yrs old or so all the fats worn off the padding on the balls of my feet (says the foot dr.) and it hurts like hell to walk barefoot on my hardwood floor so i got a pair of sandals to pad around the house on. and SOMETIMES when wearing em when i touch a door knob or a light switch i get shocked bad. then other times nothing. i have to carry a rag with me to act as an insulator if its a "shock day". any ideas? SORRY NOT TRYING TO HIJACK THREAD.

I've got a static electricity wrist band... Office Depot, $15.00...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League
    Symptoms of Marlinitis #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 30, 31, 36.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I'm also thinking of putting a static mat in front of my loading bench....
    Bart

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    Dry air will give you much more static shock issues. Get a humidity indicator and see what you have at different times in your home. When you notice a "no static" day, see what the humidity level is. You may want to get a humidifier and keep it at that level or slightly higher to keep the static zapping to a minimum. Up here in the snow belt it gets very dry during the winter and having the heat on dries the air even more. Static shock is crazy during the winter months. It downright hurts sometimes. I get into bed some nights and I swear the room glows when I lift the sheets and pull them back over me. You can actually see it. Same thing when taking clothes out of the drier, even with drier sheets being used. Many homes that have forced hot air heating systems have a humidifier built in to keep it cozy during the winter. My house is forced hot water so the air gets extremely dry during the winter.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    Easy peasy! I'm really going to like this bench...
    I'm loving mine. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!
    Scorpiusb likes this.
    Jeremy - .375 club member 111
    marlin 336ts (1984) - 38-55 rebore by JES
    Winchester 1894 (1904) 38-55
    Winchester 53 25-20 takedown

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    Dry air will give you much more static shock issues. Get a humidity indicator and see what you have at different times in your home. When you notice a "no static" day, see what the humidity level is. You may want to get a humidifier and keep it at that level or slightly higher to keep the static zapping to a minimum. Up here in the snow belt it gets very dry during the winter and having the heat on dries the air even more. Static shock is crazy during the winter months. It downright hurts sometimes. I get into bed some nights and I swear the room glows when I lift the sheets and pull them back over me. You can actually see it. Same thing when taking clothes out of the drier, even with drier sheets being used. Many homes that have forced hot air heating systems have a humidifier built in to keep it cozy during the winter. My house is forced hot water so the air gets extremely dry during the winter.
    i live 30 minutes from the ocean. whats "dry air"? course i grew up in far west tx so never knew what humidity was till i moved here.
    LINCOLN freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone
    theres never been in the history of the world a country that taxed its way into prosperity

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Looks good!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    nice job.........

we all need a nice area to load our ammo...........!
    Marlin Team Old Phart #323
    Marlin Team 1894 # 480
    Marlin Team 45-70 # 1637
    Marlin Team 39 # 441
    Marlin Team 60 #397
    Henry Team # 107

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links