+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

Reloading Bench Plans

Sacrificed the weekend trip to the range with my son's to build this:

Obtained the plans from this site:

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...ench_plans.pdf

Some nice straight forward plans. Built the bench this weekend, still need to put a few coats of polyurethane on it...very stout, heavy bench. Shortened the legs by 5" as plan is for 6'2" operator, I'm 5"10" on a good day. Will build the cabinet later. Needed a home for my new Lee Classic Turret Press. Upgrading from my Lee Handloader. I've got a case bad case of reloaditis.

-Stan

Sidewinder
    Noth Central FLA - SoCal in the High Desert
    Member #

Re: Reloading Bench Plans

I just downloaded and saved these plans, I have been thinking of building a new bench this winter. You did a real fine job with yours by the way.
    I think, therefore I am a Libertarian.

I suppose it is a good thing that I am married. No doubt if left to my own devices, I'd be living in a tent somewhere.
    But, I would have a LOT MORE GUNS!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Lookin good! Now don't forget to post pics when you get it done and setup with your equipment.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

DMD, that's excellent! I'm a firm believer that a reloading bench should outweigh its owner, and that is a perfect example of a solidly-built bench. Lag-bolts and heavy planks make for a heavy, solid workstation, and that's wonderful example of good engineering. I've moved five times in the last ten years, and each time I had to build a new reloading bench, plus a few workshop-style benches. All of mine outweighed me, and most were left behind, to the delight of the new owners. The worst thing I can think of is having a bench that wobbles, shakes, and quivers every time you crank the handle on a press. You never appreciate a good sturdy bench until you have to do something like case forming, then you suddenly gain a sense of how smart you were to build it sturdy. Good for you!
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847
    Team 375 #27

Gunfighter
    Member #

I moved my reloading inside the house so I built me a new bench that works fine and doesnt look like what it is. I built mine out of birch plywood with a 2x4 frame inside with a top and double doors on the front. I can close it up after loading and it looks like a storage cabinet. My loading platform is made out of 2x10's counter sunk and recessed to where you can leave the press mounted and a die installed and close it up. I also have a shelf midway down the cabinet and a bottom shelf for storage I mounted my powder measure beside my press and can leave it attached all the time also. I have a piano hinge on the top and a latch that locks it open while loading. The doors on the front open wide open. Its so nice to be able to reload in comfort inside the house with air and heat as compared to using the tool shed out in the back yard. The measurements are34 1/4"wide x 25" deep x49"tall I really like it and it is stable as a rock but closes up and looks like a storage cabinet. I painted mine but could be finished like a piece of furniture.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Tommy Kelly, sure would like to see a pic of your bench too!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Duramaxdoc,

I built that same bench many years ago and can attest that it will hold up well. And it IS solid as a rock. Adding a laminate counter top can be a worthwhile modification. If I remember correctly, the plans had provision for reducing the length. I built it full size and have never regretted that decision. Having too much space for reloading is NEVER a problem.

I would advise against stopping now before building the top shelfing unit. It adds additional mass and strength to the unit and the extra storage space will get used up fast. That piano hinged center door is a real nice place to set up a powder scale, too.
    Some profess that they "aim to please". On the contrary, it pleases me to aim.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Duramaxdoc, that is a great looking bench.

Tommy, I would love to see pictures of your creation. I'm using a portable inside the house and would like to build one to replace the table. Thanks in advance.
    Al
    God, Country and Marlin
    Team 35 ~ Member # 52
    Team 39 ~ Member # 15
    Team Marlin Express ~ Member # 7
    61-Marlin Golden 39A...... 67-Marlin 99 .22LR
    69-Marlin 336 .35Rem..... 08-Marlin 338MX .338ME
    09-Marlin XL7 .270Win.... Mathews Heli-M

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Very nice looking bench!

It also looks like it can double for sleeping space when unexpected relatives show up.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I can't tell from the photo if you've already done this or are planning to but you should round off the front edge of the worktop with a router or sandpaper or add an edging strip. A rough sawn plywood edge can be pretty hard on your cloths and skin even after a couple of polyurethane coats.
    MDT

Marlin 336W w/ Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 BDC
    Marlin 1894C w/ Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO
    Put BSA Catseye FM310x44 scope on 308 BAR
    Savage 10ML-II SS muzzleloader w/ silver Bushnell Elite 3200
    Barnett Quad 400 crosbow w/ scope
    Diamond Outlaw RAK Bow

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links