32-20 and Lil'Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 32-20 and Lil'Gun

Tenderfoot
    Member #

32-20 and Lil'Gun

I'm trying to find max loads for Lil'Gun for use in a modern 1894 and 115gr bullets. I want to work up some loads with the new 115gr speer gold dots that were designed for the .327.

Anyone using Lil'Gun in their 32-20? I've got a ton of it for my 22 hornet and 32 H&R, so I would like to use it in the 32-20 as well.

Thanks
    Herrschutz, GrumpyBear and Rooster like this.

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 32-20 and Lil'Gun

I can't find any data for that bullet, so I can't even offer a suggestion. But welcome to the forum anyway!
    “If the Senate needs an expert to speak at the hearings on meddling in another country’s elections, they should subpoena Barack Obama.” —twitter satirist @weknowwhatsbest

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: 32-20 and Lil'Gun

I've run into the same problem with Lil Gun and the 44-40. Just no data out there to even get a starting point from.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Eight years later, and there is STILL no good data for Marlins and T/C Contenders in 32-20. I think I've checked every source I can find, and data is either not where I'm looking, or it doesn't exist. Any intrepid reloaders worked up data for Lil Gun with any bullet weight? What I've been able to locate is all mild and intended for old revolvers, 7-8 grains with 100 grain bullets for less than 1200 fps.

However, I did find a load in a HANDLOADER Magazine article that shows 11.5 grains of Accurate Arms #9 under a 100-grain XTP in a Savage 23C. From the rifle's 24-inch barrel the load shows 1,848 fps, which is right about what I'd like to see.
    kraynky, Rooster and GrumpyBear like this.
    “If the Senate needs an expert to speak at the hearings on meddling in another country’s elections, they should subpoena Barack Obama.” —twitter satirist @weknowwhatsbest

Tinhorn
    Member #
    before cowboy shooting brought 32 20 back from the past I always used 30 cal carbine loads. starting loads for it seemed to be max for a 32 20. speer has lilgun listed for 30 carbine.....just a thought.....bobn
    papajohn likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Same problem for me finding LilGun data. I've looked at several starting loads for the 30 carbine with different powders and started trying a few loads in my 32-20 1894CL using a 125gr LBT GC bullet. I'm up to 10grs LilGun with WSR primers, Starline brass and it averages 1715fps with no pressure signs I can find. Accuracy is running 3/4" to 1" off sandbags at 40yds with Skinner sights. I'm going to keep stepping up 1/2gr at a time and look for 1800fps if primer and case expansion indicators stay in line and that accuracy level remains.

This load is not printed anywhere that I know of; I'm on my own here and so are you if you try it.

Rooster

Tinhorn
    Member #
    See
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=581988

(Here's where QuickLoad earns its weight in gold)
    Last edited by mehavey; 02-25-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    papajohn likes this.

Member #
    That 11.5 grain Lil Gun load is exactly what I've been looking for! 1900 fps is right where I want to go, maybe a tad higher with the lighter slugs. So far the highest charge I've loaded is 10.7 and the load shot under an inch at 50 yards with the Hornady 100 XTP, but I want a little flatter trajectory, and the Marlin is a stout-enough gun that I don't worry about pushing these loads a little harder. The Quickload data for load #2 shows the pressure is still under 24KPSI, so there is still plenty of room for improved ballistics.

To be honest, I'd love to see what the 32-20 is capable of with an 85-grain XTP at about 35,000 PSI. I'm sure that bullet would be downright explosive at the resulting velocity, but a gas-checked cast boolit or a tougher jacketed slug might be interesting to play with. I also have some 71-grain FMJ bullets made for the 32 ACP to work with.......I wonder how fast those could go?

I'm not a velocity junkie, but the 32-20 has been severely underloaded for a hundred years. Given a good gun and stout brass, it would be really interesting to see what it's actually capable of when run to "normal" rifle pressures!
    Rooster and Savage303 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Papa John's, sent you a pm, let me know if you got it. Computer is acting up.
    Rooster

Member #
    Yes, I did, Rooster. I'm booked up right now but will get back to you ASAP. Several irons in the fire.......for a change!

PJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links