+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

.257 Roberts Experts.....Question About Brass

Hello There, fairly new here in the forum with a lot of questions.
    I am also a rookie reloader trying to load for my .257Roberts and having dificulty finding new brass for it. It seems that only winchester and Remington sells unprimed brass for this cartridge. However, I have looked online and nobody has any at the moment.
    Nevertheless, I need to know if I could load Remington brass to +P pressures (in case I find it) I know winchester is stamped "+P" but the Rem isn't and its factory ammo is underloaded. Hence the original question about using their brass. Do any of you knowledgeable folks know if I can. Don't wanna blow my face trying. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Re: .257 Roberts Experts.....Question About Brass

Yes you can. 7X57 brass is a one stroke in the sizing die and you have a .257 Roberts.

I have made some from 8X57 but having a 7mm die to step it down helps, with the 8mm brass you need to ream or outside neck turn.

I had a Rem 722 and a Ruger 77 and Browning BLR in .257 and have put some pretty stout loads through them guns.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

You can neck up .244 or 6 mm Rem. (same thing) and get good results. Using the 7mm brass is the way to go as when setting up your dies just size down a little at a time so you don't set the shoulder back and create access head space ! You want to make it a slight crush fit.

Hipshot

Super Moderator
    Member #

I agree with Swany and Hipshot.

Using Remington factory brass in .257 I've loaded 120's to a little over 2900 fps, and 100's to 3200 - 3250 fps in a 22 inch barreled Ruger 77 (certainly in the "+P" range) and the cases have held up fine.

Great caliber. I've used RL 19, RL 22, H4831, WXR (discontinued) the 4350's, H4895, IMR 4064 and several other powders to get these velocities with good case life.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I agree with the above....my "light" caliber deer rifle (besides the 336SC) is a Ruger 77 MKII rebarrelled to .257 Ackley Improved........using exclusively Remington brass, I load 117gr Hornady SST's to 3150fps in front of 51gr of RL19. Bear in mind, that's after fireforming the brass to the Ackley shoulder. I've loaded 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to over 3300fps over 53gr of IMR4350 in the same rifle. Case life is great, I have some on their 8th loading with minimal trimming, but the 40 degree shoulder does help some to contain case streaching. I need to dig up some more brass myself.

Cottonfish
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese........

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thanks everyone for your response. As mentioned earlier I am a rookie reloader with much more to learn. Forming cases is something I would like to learn how to do but much later. I would like to stick with available brass for now.

I am currently shooting factory Hornady 117grs BTSPs just to gather brass to start developing loads for it. However, at $25/box I thought I could invest on some new brass and do it from the get go. The problem is, I can't find any new brass at all for the Roberts.

Anyway, I'll keep on shooting the factory fodder for now. The jury still out on the gun. I am still breaking the barrel in on a brand new Ruger M77 Hawkeye. With only 40 rds shot through it I still have ways to go.

I'll keep in mind powder suggestions. As the only reloading manual that I know publishing +P loads is the SPEER #14. I was thinking about using H4350. Again, thank you all for your comments and keep them coming.

Member #

For a standard .257 Roberts a good powder with excellent results would be IMR4064 this with 117gn bullets, the Sierra spitzer boatail worked well for me.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 35RMB
    I'll keep in mind powder suggestions. As the only reloading manual that I know publishing +P loads is the SPEER #14. I was thinking about using H4350. Again, thank you all for your comments and keep them coming.
    Good powder for use with heavier bullets in .257, and part of Hodgdon's temperature-insensitive Extreme line. H4350 is slower burning than IMR4350, I'm in the process of developing a load for the 110gr Nosler Accubond in my .257 AI with that powder. I'm also experimenting with use of IMR7828SSC behind the 117-120gr bullets, trying to see if I can get enough of that powder in the case to exceed the 3150fps I see with RL19, without running into pressure issues.

Cottonfish
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese........

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

35RMB,
    You should be able to get both Rem. and Win. brass from Midway ! They also carry Win. Plus P brass. Starline probably makes it also. And Huntington Die Specialties should carry it, in fact most mail order places will carry the brass.

Hip

Member #

If you can find modern milsurp brass it is usually thicker at the webbing. 06 machine gun brass is very heavy in that area 06 milsurp any brand is usually heavier if US made, and can be formed down. .270 win brass is heavy in the base and webbing

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links