+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

165Grn Nosler Partition in 30-06 W/Burris 3x9 Ballistic Plex

Well, I'm amost ready for deer season. Finally got a load worked up for 165Grn Nosler Partitions in my Brwoning BAR in 30-06. Tried H4350, IMR4350 and then IMR4831. The groups really tightened up with 57.4Grn of IMR4831.

Dark squares = 1/2", lighter squares = 1/4".........group measures .69CTC

I got the BAR this past spring and have been working up loads for it all Spring & Summer. So far, I've got loads developed for 180Grn Sierra Game Kings, 180 Nosler Ballistic Tips and now, 165 Nosler Partitions. I've really been surprised at the accuracy of the BAR since everyone says that bolts are so much more accurate than a semi-auto. All three of these loads are shooting sub MOA at 100Yds. Average is about 3/4"

I said I was "almost" ready for deer season, cause I just put a Burris 3-9 Ballistic Plex scope on and the target above was part of the first "sight in",
    and I want to do a little more tweaking to her centered up at 100Yds.

The Ballistic Plex recticle worked exactly as advertized. I only got to shoot a couple of rounds at 200Yds using the first hash mark (ran out of ammo), but they were about 1 1/4" left and 3/4" low. This was expected as my 100Yds sight in is a little to the left. I really like being able to sight in "dead on" at 100Yds and then just using the 200 & 300 etc hash marks for the long shots. Just a little more 100Yd tweaking and some 200 Yd practice and she'll be ready to go.

I chose the Nosler Partitions because I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about them. It seems to me that everything else available out there is always compared to the Partition. I think that says a lot. At any rate, I'll be loaded with partitions this season.

I think I've got a winning combo here and can hardly wait for rifle dear season which opens here in Arkansas Nov13th.

firstshot

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Sounds like you got the rig there. Good Luck
    Proverbs 12:27
    "The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious."

BlueMoon

I've had my best results with 165grn bullets and 57.0grns of IMR4350. But that is regular Rem., Hornady, or Sierra bullets and regular primers. That's with a bolt action. I'm not sure that AR deer need a partition but agree that that's the bullet all else are compared too. I get real good accuracy in my rifles with BT's and I think that the bullets that heavy are not going to blow up on impact. Luck BM

Bill

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon
    I'm not sure that AR deer need a partition but agree that that's the bullet all else are compared too.Bill
    Bill

A couple of factors influenced my dicision for the partition.

First, it's more the area I will be hunting rather than the size of AR deer. They have just logged out the mountian side I'll be hunting, which is fairly steep in places. Basically looks like a bomb went off with all the downed tree tops. If a deer makes it off of the log landing or logging road and into that mess on a steep hill side, recovery is going to be extremely difficult.....assuming you can find him. If I need to, the partition will allow me to take a shoulder shot and hopefully anchor him where he stands.

Second, we've got some big "shoot on sight" wild boar on the place (not to mention black bear...already got one with my muzzleloader this year), and I felt the partition would be better suited to laying these big guys low.

firstshot

Sidewinder
    Member #

You've got an excellent set-up there... A rifle and load that will work just about anywhere on the planet for nearly any game if you're a skilled shot.

I just set up a 30-06 Ruger M77/MkII stainless/synthetic with a Burris compact 4x and it's a dynamite set-up... Total weight with sling, scope and rings is exactly 8 pounds on the hoof. It's a delight to carry and very sleek. She's giving me .80" 5-shot groups at 100 yds with factory W-W 180gr Power-Points. The BC on this bullet is .438 so it's a sleek projectile.

Good luck, let us know how the hunt goes!
    od Bless the great Elmer Keith!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Arizona

That Ruger 06 sounds like a sweet setup. I really like the idea of a stainless/synthetic.

My BAR is a SAFARI model and weighs in at 7Lbs 6Oz without the scope. The scope puts it a hair over 8Lbs total. I've got her rigged up with a BooniePacker sling that lets you carry the rifle horizontal position in front of you. Spreads the weight across your whole back and not just one shoulder, and they are excellent for stalking.

[/url]

Heading down to the camp tomorrow afternoon. By 5AM Saturday morning I'll be sitting 20ft off the ground watching a food plot on top of a ridge in the middle of a cutover. Ground in the food plot is literally covered with deer tracks and last Saturday I found some "Big Boy" tracks coming in & out of the plot. Got a glimpse of him Sunday. He was chasing does in the thick of the clear cut but he was going away from me so couldn't tell how many points. Rack was way outside his ears though. I'll be hunting that Big Boy Sat, Sun & Mon. Hopefully I'll have good news when I get back.

(I'm so excited I can't hardley stand it.... LOL)

Best of luck to you as well!!!!

firstshot

6pt-sika

I have a 1965 vintage 700BDL in 30-06, thats like new I think I will load up some 165 Hornady SST's and 57 grs IMR4350. If they shoot well , I'll try and kill a doe this year I already use that bullet in my 300 RSUM and have had GREAT success

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links