+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

varget load data for 30-30 with 173 grain LFNGC bullets

anyone have load data for H-varget powder in 30-30 with 173 grain LFNGC bullets? I have seen some data for 170 grain cast bullets from Lee but am unsure if I can use it with 173 grain bullets or not.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: varget load data for 30-30 with 173 grain LFNGC bullets

YOu can use the Hodgdon site and use appropriate 170gr. jacketed information. I think I used 33gr. On my remington 170gr. core lokts. Start low and work up carefully. Be aware that cast boolits sometimes are more accurate sized .311 for Marlins, and that the most accurate loading may be a bit slower than the general max Varget data. Varget downloaded has never worked well for me, and in fact for that boolit, I prefer H4198 at about 18gr. Its significantly slower, but easy shooting and very accurate. If I wanted to hunt, I'd be careful about my alloy, and perhaps hollowpoint the bullet. Expansion with these is sometimes questionable even with wheel weights.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the info! I was looking to start with 26 grains of Varget for 1800 fps or so. I ordered some .311 bullets from beartooth bullets but they told me they are still working on Apr=May orders. I may get them by Christmas. The only others I could find were.309 so I got some to try. My new 30-30 rifle shoots 4=5 inch groups (on a good day) at 100 yards with all 170 grain factory loads I have tried (Fem/Win/Fed). It will not shoot 150 grain hand loads or factory loads to save its life. I tried different loads with IMR 3031 and RL=7 with no luck. I tried the 125 grain bullets that people said shot great. After a half=a=box of those I tossed them away. Dismal to say the least. I'll order some 170 grain jacketed bullets next and see if I can work up a load that will hit the target. I have had no problems reloading for my .243. It eats anything and everything i put in it. I owned a Marlin 35 Remington years ago that shot Remington/Winchester factory with no problems. If it wasn't for the ammo being so hard to find I would and should have kept it. The Marlin 30-30s I've owned seem to be hit and miss. I don't know why. At least this one hits somewhere close to the target, my buddies marlin 30-30 won't hit the side of a barn. i realy wanted to use this for pigs this year. But, if I cant get this hoopty to shoot before hunting season I may look at the Mossberg 464. Anybody own one?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

That is really suprising. I've shot several 30-30's and had good luck with them all. Wonder if you've got a barrel band overtorqed or a damaged crown? My go to's for the 170gr. Hornady or Rem. Core lokt are 33gr. of Varget and or 34gr. of BL-C2. I've used 3031, but with a bit less success. I also use 3031 for cast, and use 24gr. for it. Those lead loads would not be my choice for critters (no matter what others tell you, the typical hardcast bullets can and do pencil through much of the time in 30 cal. I'd much prefer your 35 if I was using cast. My boy is going out this weekend on deer with a 357 and a 185gr. (Beartooth like) bullet I cast up in front of 16gr. of H110. That really tanked his deer last year, and have no doubts as to its performance. My experience with hogs and the 30-30 lead is not great, but had a hog running off and a couple of deer going farther than they would have with jacketed. They just penciled through. I like big bullets for cast hunting, and the 35 is where that begins. I've also had luck with 35 REm, 356, 375, 444 and 45-70.

Wrangler
    Member #

Kalbo,

I wanted to try Beartooth's 30 cal bullet too. I finally cancelled the order after about 6 months.
    I did find a supply of 311041 Lyman cast bullets sized to .311 with gas checks. A fellow named Vern Anderson
    runs Glenhills Cast Bullets. He sells on gunbroker.com. I am having pretty good luck loading them for
    my 336 with both SR4759 and Reloader7. The bullets are pretty soft but are a good fit for my chamber and
    the bore. So far I am shooting into 1.5 inches at 50 yards with iron sights.
    $13/100 an $9 to ship. I bought 300 bullets and he shipped them all for $9 shipping. Best of all, very good service and quick delivery.
    I plan to buy another batch next month.

Bob A

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Super Moderator
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

I'm frankly a bit amazed at how poorly your rifle shoots, and your friend's, as well. Marlin makes excellent barrels, and while you might have to try a dozen different factory loads to find one it likes, there is usually at least one that will make it sing. I'm lucky in that all my Marlins are good shooters, but I've also spent a lot of time and money and energy figuring out what it likes. I'm not saying every Marlin is capable of two-inch groups at 100 yards, but I'm firmly convinced at least 90% of them will do it if you give them what they like.

When shooting hogs, I like the heaviest bullet the gun shoots well, unless there are dogs involved, then I want something that expands well.

Bob A. and Dr. A have good ideas, especially the part about checking the barrel crown. It sounds like there's something wrong somewhere.

PJ
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Varget fixed my problem! 150 grain power points with 32 grains of varget gives me 5 shots inside 2 inches at 100 yards. My 173 grain LFNGC bullets with 28 grains of varget are under an inch at 50 yards. I didn't shoot them at 100 yards for some reason. I guess I was just to happy about the other loads. I don't know why the IMR and Rl-7 shot so poor. The factory ammo also for that matter. Anyway, I have 1000 power points I can load now. I know 2 inch group may not sound great, but after what I've been through I doing a happy dance every 5 minutes!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I must add that the load data I used came from the Lee second edition. A great book.

Wrangler
    Member #

Kalbo,

Where did you get your 173 cast bullets?

Bob A

Tenderfoot
    Member #

montana bullet works

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links